New Member Introduction: GIERI
GIERI (Groupe d’Intervention Pour l’Encadrement Et La Réhabilitation Intégrale) or Intervention Group for Framing and Integral Rehabilitation is a non profit organization registered in the Democratic Republic of Congo since 1997. GIERI’s mission is to contribute in building conditions of peace environment and to promote the community development in its range. Adopting the Philosophy of Australian Landcare principles, GIERI has several aims, including:
• Improving the nutritional requirements of the people by adopting appropriate operating framework for the rehabilitation of existing agrarian structures, victims of natural disasters or war;
• Participate in any action aimed at environmental protection and environmental sanitation;
• Rallying the community development environment based on the initiatives of the local population;
• Actively participate in advocacy activities for the promotion and socio-economic reintegration of youth;
• To contribute to the alleviation of poverty and vulnerable to disaster especially to facilitate their reintegration into the workforce;
• Promoting Carbon Sequestration by protecting the forest community.
• Promoting Agro-Ecology and Food Sovereignty.
In recent years with a return of peace and stability in the region, the focus of GIERI’s activities have been on land restoration and environmental works and social community, including the implementation of a project in partnership with Australian Landcare International to reforest the degraded slopes of Kabare and Kasha Hills. GIERI mobilised the community within the catchment of Lake Kivu to address issues of land degradation caused by deforestation for firewood and construction materials. Despite operating in a high-risk environment plagued by rebels, the community dreams of the role of agroforestry in restoring their soils and protecting their land to attract youth into farming rather than warfare.
For more information, please visit the GIERI website here.