The UN Biodiversity Conference will be held from 17 to 29 November 2018 in Sharm El-Sheikh, made up of several important biodiversity-related events, including the Fourteenth Meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD COP 14), the the Ninth COP-MOP of the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety (COP-MOP 8), the Third COP-MOP of the Nagoya Protocol on Access to Genetic Resources and the Fair and Equitable Sharing of Benefits Arising from their Utilization (COP-MOP 3) and a number of other related events.
IPSI Secretariat staff is looking forward to attending the conference and seeing many IPSI members and other familiar faces, as this will be a good chance for IPSI to increase its stature in the world of international policy-making processes.
The IPSI Secretariat will be involved as co-organizer in two side events at the conference:
- Saturday, 17 November at 13:15, on “Socio-Ecological Production Landscapes and Seascapes for Biodiversity and Livelihood: Roles in Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework“, led by Conservation International, along with the CBD Secretariat, UNDP, the Ministry of the Environment of Japan (MoEJ), the Critical Ecosystems Partnership Fund (CEPF), and the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES) (https://www.cbd.int/side-events/2728) (click to download flyer)
- Monday, 19 November at 18:15, on “Consolidation and Replication of Effective Landscape Approaches for Biodiversity Conservation and Human Livelihoods”, led by the IPSI Secretariat along with UNDP, Conservation International, IGES, and MoEJ (https://www.cbd.int/side-events/2812) (click to download flyer)
Secretariat staff will also contribute to other related events, including:
- 17-29 November: The Fair on experiences and best practices in Communication, Education and Public Awareness (CEPA Fair), where we will maintain an exhibition kiosk with materials on the Satoyama Initiative, IPSI, and related materials.
- 22-24 November: The “The Nature and Culture Summit: Biological and Cultural Diversity for Biodiversity and Human Resilience Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement”, where Secretariat staff will take part in one of the panels on biocultural indicators.
- 23 to 24 November: The “6th Global Biodiversity Summit of Local and Subnational Governments: Mainstreaming Biodiversity for Urban and Regional Development”, where Secretariat staff will give a panel presentation on IPSI’s work related to subnational governments.
- 25 November: The Rio Conventions Pavilion day on Agriculture and Biodiversity, where a presentation will be given on IPSI and the “GEF-Satoyama Project“.