TOPACTIVITIESIPSI Collaborative ActivitiesPublication of a box set of four picture books on SEPLS
Publication of a box set of four picture books on SEPLS
Lead organization: Soil and Water Conservation Bureau (SWCB)
Other participating organizations: Forest Bureau, Hualien District Agricultural Research and Extension Station, National Dong-Hwa University, SWAN International, Taiwan Landscape Environment Association (TLEA), National Chung-Hsin University
A total of 16 organizations from Taiwan has joined International Partnership of Satoyama Initiative (IPSI) and committed to promote and support socio-ecological production landscapes and seascapes (SEPLS) for the benefit of biodiversity and human well-being. These organizations have engaged in all kinds of on-the-ground activities all over the island of Taiwan. By far there are 229 case studies, including 16 from Taiwan, on the website of IPSI. However, all these case studies are reported in English and not all local people can understand them. In addition, there are many academic terms or professional jargons used in the case studies. In order to help more people to understand the very spirit of SEPLS and gain more support or approval of the society, we need a way to present the case studies in a friendlier way and in local language. The SWCB, therefore, decided to fund local artists to publish a box set of picture books on stories of 4 local SEPLS that SWCB has engaged with.
Publishing a set of 4 narrative picture books depicting 4 SEPLS case studies that SWCB has supported and engaged with:
- SEPLS restored by the Gongrong community in northern Taiwan (in collaboration with SWAN International;
- Gonglaoping community in central Taiwan (in collaboration with National Chung-Hsin University and the Taiwan Landscape Environment Association (TLEA));
- Kavalan Xinshe tribe and Amis Dipit tribe in eastern Taiwan (in collaboration with National Dong-Hwa University, Hualien District Agricultural Research and Extension Station, Hualien Forest District Office of Forest Bureau); and
- Shangde community in southeastern Taiwan (in collaboration with SWAN International).
These picture books will use simple, everyday words and phrases as well as hand drawn illustrations to help general public better understand, accept, and support the ideas and practices of SEPLS. The books will be published in Chinese, Japanese and English to attract a wider audience.
3. Expected Outcomes
This publication is aimed at young children and will be written with basic vocabulary a child can understand. These books are to be read by children themselves or read by adults to young children. Jargons such as “social-ecological system”, “resilience”, ‘ecosystem approach” will not appear in the books. Instead, visual elements with basic, soft vocabulary are used to send messages to people of all ages. For adults, this publication can be considered as a tool to promote interaction and ensure participation of stakeholders from different sectors in the conservation and particularly in the sustainable use of biodiversity. It is expected to help mainstream biodiversity, including the rebuilt or restoration of SEPLS.
4. Actors and Task Sharing
- SWCB is in charge of publishing the box set of four picture books.
- IPSI members in Taiwan, including the Forest Bureau, Hualien District Agricultural Research and Extension Station, National Dong-Hwa University, SWAN International and Taiwan Landscape Environment Association (TLEA), help and support the publication of the four picture books through the coordination of the Seedesign Ltd. Co., and join in the launch party of the books.
- IPSI Secretariat, if agreed upon, will accept an interview by a representative of the Seedesign Ltd. Co. based in Tokyo, on behalf of the SWCB, to introduce IPSI’s mission and current works, IPSI’s perspective to its and its members’ role in post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework, suggestions to IPSI members in Taiwan on how to collaborate with IPSI and its members in realizing IPSI mission in the future, and address the launch of the book set. The interview will be video-recorded and be presented at the book launch ceremony which is scheduled to be held in early December 2021.
Figure 1. Draft cover page and book title of the 4 picture books on SEPLS of Taiwan. (Chinese version)
5. Resources, Funding
Funding of the publication will be provided by the SWCB. The Seedesign Ltd. Co. will be in charge of book production.
6. Monitoring and Reporting
A final report of the proposed activities, including a hard copy of the box set (all three versions of Chinese, English and Japanese) will be submitted to the IPSI Secretariat once the box set is printed out.