The contribution of chestnut orchard recovery projects for effective area-based conservation: Two cases in Asturias (North-West Spain)
- Spain (Asturias) Southern Europe
- ECOAGRASOC. Higher Polytechnic School. University of Santiago de Compostela; GIS-Forest Research Group, Universidad de Oviedo; Department of Geography, Swansea University
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Country Spain Province Asturias District Caranga Baxu (Proaza)/ Villamorei (Sobrescobio) Size of geographical area 1 146,22 hectares Number of ind...
- Italy (Tuscany) Southern Europe
- Associazione Grani Antichi (Ancient Grains Association) Montespertoli
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Ecosystem management history A long history of lagoon management Situated in Central Italy, in Southern Tuscany, the lagoon of Orbetello is a unique ecosystem connected to th...
- Slovakia (Eastern Slovakia Lowland) Eastern Europe
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP); Ministry of the Environment, Japan; Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity; United Nations University (UNU)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. The Landscape Geography The target landscape for COMDEKS activities in Slovakia is the Laborec-Uh region in the Eastern Slovakia Lowland (Východoslovenská nížina), in...
Governance-mix for resilient socio-ecological production landscapes in Austria – an example of the terraced riverine landscape Wachau
- Austria (Wachau Region) Western Europe
- University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU); University of Groningen
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction [Note: This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review vol. 2] Like elsewhere in Central Europe, most of the Austrian landscape...
- Italy (Tuscany) Southern Europe
- Romualdo del Bianco Foundation; University of St Andrews
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction Tuscany, a region in central Italy with an area of about 23,000 square kilometres and a population of almost four million inhabitants, has been cultivated with di...
Community-based monitoring and information systems as an emerging toolkit to improve management of SEPLS
- Global Global
- Forest Peoples Programme
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction [Note: This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review vol. 1. Since it was first produced, further developments have occurred, many ...
- Slovenia (Upper Carniola) Southern Europe
- Research Centre of Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Art (ZRC SAZU), Anton Melik Geographical Institute
Mountain pastures in Slovenia Mountain pasturing in Slovenia is primarily linked to the Alps. They occur mainly in previously forested areas, with a few also at and above the tree line (Ringler 2009). The oldest written records of mountain pasturing...
- Austria (Styria) Western Europe
- University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU), in collaboration with the Sölktäler Nature Park
Austria is a country of mountains. Around 70% of its federal territory, more than 50% of its total agriculturally utilised land (BMLFUW 2014A) and 38.4% of the agricultural holdings (STATISTIK AUSTRIA 2012) are located in mountainous areas. Mountai...
A grassroots programme to support a traditional Eastern European community managing traditional High Nature Value landscapes in the Carpathians
- Romania (Eastern Carpathians of Transylvania) Eastern Europe
- Pogány-havas Regional Association
Of all countries in the EU, Romania has the highest proportion of the population engaged in agriculture, whilst average farm sizes are the smallest. Romania has 29% of the EU’s agricultural holdings, it has 20% of Europe’s agricultural workers, h...
- Cyprus (Buffer Zone) Western Asia
- University of Cyprus
1. Introduction The island of Cyprus has been divided across ethnic lines since 1974, and in some areas since 1963. The current Buffer Zone was established as a cease-fire line on 16th of August 1974 and has been depicted over the last four decade...
- Germany (Baden-Württemberg) Western Europe
- German Association for Landcare (Deutscher Verband für Landschaftspflege, DVL) in cooperation with Landcare Association Central Black Forest (Landschaftsentwicklungsverband Mittlerer Schwarzwald e.V., LACBF)
Regional background of the Black Forest (Pic. 1: Cultural landscape in the Black Forest, photographer: Hans Page) The Black Forest is located in the southeast of Germany, Central Europe. In former times Europe and the region of the Bla...
- Germany (Swabian Alb, Southwestern Germany) Western Europe
- Ecosystem Services Research Group
In European landscapes, people and nature have co-evolved over centuries. How these cultural landscapes look like, is the result of persistent landscape change following from of a highly diverse variety of land uses. A typical traditional landscape s...