- Kenya Eastern Africa
- Conservation Solutions Afrika
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction [Note: this case study originally appeared in the publication "Socio-ecological Production Landscapes and Seascapes in Africa".] The sites where the majority ...
- Ghana (Central Region) Western Africa
- A Rocha Ghana
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Natural and social background [Note: this case study was originally published in the publication “Socio-ecological Production Landscapes and Seascapes (SEPLS) in Africa“] ...
Community-based monitoring and information systems as an emerging toolkit to improve management of SEPLS
- Global Global
- Forest Peoples Programme
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction [Note: This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review vol. 1. Since it was first produced, further developments have occurred, ma...
- Slovenia (Upper Carniola) Southern Europe
- Research Centre of Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Art (ZRC SAZU), Anton Melik Geographical Institute
Mountain pastures in Slovenia Mountain pasturing in Slovenia is primarily linked to the Alps. They occur mainly in previously forested areas, with a few also at and above the tree line (Ringler 2009). The oldest written records of mountain pasturing...
- Guyana (Upper Takutu-Upper Essequibo) South America
- 1. South Central People's Development Organisation, 2. Forest Peoples Programme
Sustainable use provisions under article 10(c) of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) require States Parties to ...” protect and encourage customary use of biological resources in accordance with traditional cultural practices that a...
- Austria (Styria) Western Europe
- University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU), in collaboration with the Sölktäler Nature Park
Austria is a country of mountains. Around 70% of its federal territory, more than 50% of its total agriculturally utilised land (BMLFUW 2014A) and 38.4% of the agricultural holdings (STATISTIK AUSTRIA 2012) are located in mountainous areas. Mountai...
- Cyprus (Buffer Zone) Western Asia
- University of Cyprus
1. Introduction The island of Cyprus has been divided across ethnic lines since 1974, and in some areas since 1963. The current Buffer Zone was established as a cease-fire line on 16th of August 1974 and has been depicted over the last four decade...
- Global ---
- Cheburashka Project (Frontier Works. Inc and other affiliated companies)
Cheburashka and Gena the crocodile are visiting a dacha. Dacha is a Russian word that describes a vacation home with a private garden. They spend peaceful time together here, taking care of their vegetables and fruits, going to pick mushrooms and ras...
Observation of functioning of Kanchenjunga Conservation Area (KCA): the region’s first community owned conservation area
- Nepal (Taplejung District) Southern Asia
- Wildlife Watch Group (WWG)
Kanchanjunga Conservation Area (KCA) lies within 670.45’-880.15’ East longitude and 270.30’-280.00 North latitude and located in the Northeastern corner of Nepal. The Kanchenjunga Conservation Area (KCA) located at the north-eastern part of ...
- Germany (Baden-Württemberg) Western Europe
- German Association for Landcare (Deutscher Verband für Landschaftspflege, DVL) in cooperation with Landcare Association Central Black Forest (Landschaftsentwicklungsverband Mittlerer Schwarzwald e.V., LACBF)
Regional background of the Black Forest (Pic. 1: Cultural landscape in the Black Forest, photographer: Hans Page) The Black Forest is located in the southeast of Germany, Central Europe. In former times Europe and the region of the Bla...
Land use change in Uganda’s drylands, impacts, and opportunities for enhancing livelihood sustainability
- Uganda Eastern Africa
- Nature and Livelihoods
Introduction There are three major categories of drylands: Arid zones with rainfall of 200-500 mm/year, Semi-arid zones which receive 500-1000 mm of rainfall/year, and Dry sub-humid zones with 1000-1500 mm rainfall/year (UNDP, UNEP & UNCCD...
- Mexico (Lake Chapala Basin) Central America
- International Lake Environment Committee Foundation (ILEC), and Corazon de la Tierra A.C. (Heart of the Earth), Mexico
Introduction The Lake Chapala basin includes the water body of same name, the largest one in Mexico and the third in size in Latin America (Figure 1). Most of forest ecosystems at the basin present degraded areas derived o...