The importance of the Farmers Field School approach: A case study – Farmers Field School practical training programs, Vietnam
- Viet Nam and Lao P.D.R. South-eastern Asia
- Social Policy Ecology Research Institute (SPERI)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction *This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review, Vol. 1. The introduction of FFS approach to organic vegetables farmers in Viet...
Assessing farmers’ perceptions of resilience of socio-ecological production landscapes in central and eastern Kenya
- Kenya (East and Central Kenya) Eastern Africa
- Bioversity International
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction Environmental degradation has a severe impact on how ecosystems function. When an environment is degraded, many of the benefits that ecosystems provide to local c...
Enhancing knowledge of socio-ecological production landscapes and seascapes in Vava’u, Kingdom of Tonga
- Kingdom of Tonga (Vava’u Archipelago) Polynesia
- Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP); International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction [Note: This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review vol. 1] The Kingdom of Tonga is identified by Burley et al. (2012) as th...
- Guyana (Upper Takutu-Upper Essequibo) South America
- 1. South Central People's Development Organisation, 2. Forest Peoples Programme
Sustainable use provisions under article 10(c) of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) require States Parties to ...” protect and encourage customary use of biological resources in accordance with traditional cultural practices that a...
Resuscitating the Sundarbans: Customary Use of Biodiversity & Traditional Cultural Practices in Bangladesh
- Bangladesh (Khulna Division) Southern Asia
- 1) Unnayan Onneshan 2) Bangladesh Environmental Lawyers Association (BELA) 3) Forest People Programme (FPP) 4) Nijera kori
This Study is a collaborative action research activity participated in by community members. It explores the nature of the Sundarban Reserve Forest, and the strategies for biodiversity conservation and sustainable use as well as the qualitative p...
Indigenous Knowledge, Customary Use of natural Resources and Sustainable Biodiversity Management: Case Study of Hmong and Karen Communities in Thailand
- Thailand (Chomthong District, Chiang Mai Province) South-Eastern Asia
- 1) Inter-Mountain Peoples’ Education and Culture in Thailand Association (IMPECT) 2) Forest Peoples Programme
This research project studied the sustainable, customary use of biological resources by highland communities in Northern Thailand. It was undertaken with the objectives of studying the knowledge, customs, and traditions practiced by the Hmong a...
- Ghana (Central Region) Western Africa
- Conservation Alliance
Context Cocoa production is a major economic activity for rural folks in the Upper Guinea Hotspot, one of the world’s 25 biologically rich (Ministry of Environment and Science 2002) and the most endangered terrestrial region. Cocoa farms const...
Sustainable Agro and Community forestry in localities around Ayubia National Park, Western Himalayas, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK Province), Pakistan
- Pakistan (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa KPK, Province) Southern Asia
- Center for Integrated Mountain Research (CIMR), University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan
[caption id="attachment_9986" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Map of study area, Location of Ayubia National Park, KPK[/caption] Like most of the mountainous areas of the world, Pakistan mountainous (marginal) area’s communities are mostly depr...
- Cyprus (Buffer Zone) Western Asia
- University of Cyprus
1. Introduction The island of Cyprus has been divided across ethnic lines since 1974, and in some areas since 1963. The current Buffer Zone was established as a cease-fire line on 16th of August 1974 and has been depicted over the last four decade...
Collaborative Planning and Management of Socio-Ecological Production Landscapes: a Rice Paddy Cultural Landscape Conservation in an Indigenous Community, Taiwan
- Chinese Taipei (Hualien County) Eastern Asia
- National Dong-Hwa University
Project Description This two-year action research project was commissioned by the Hualien County Cultural Affairs Bureau and implemented from May 2011 to June 2013 by the National Dong-Hwa University. The goal was to facilitate a collaborative plann...
- Global ---
- Cheburashka Project (Frontier Works. Inc and other affiliated companies)
Cheburashka and Gena the crocodile are visiting a dacha. Dacha is a Russian word that describes a vacation home with a private garden. They spend peaceful time together here, taking care of their vegetables and fruits, going to pick mushrooms and ras...
Restoration of Community Deforested Forests for Mitigation of Negative Effects of Climate Change Mpigi-Uganda
- Uganda (Mpigi, Central Uganda) Eastern Africa
- Civil Society Organizations’ Network for Sustainable Agriculture and Environment in East Africa (CISONET)
The rate of environmental degradation in Mpigi district has been gradually increasing over time and some areas, which were originally forested, have been made bare by the inhabitants of the areas as a result of cutting down trees for timber and fuel ...