- Ghana (Central Region) Western Africa
- A Rocha Ghana
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Natural and social background [Note: this case study was originally published in the publication “Socio-ecological Production Landscapes and Seascapes (SEPLS) in Africa“] ...
- Japan (Iwate Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- The Commemorative Foundation for the International Garden and Greenery Exposition, Osaka, Japan, 1990 (Expo ‘90 Foundation)
1. Overview of the Sakihama district (1) Location and land use The Sakihama district is located east of Okirai, in the town of Sanriku, that is about 20 kilometers from the center of the city of Ofunato. The Kobezaki Lighthouse marks the easternmo...
Community-based monitoring and information systems as an emerging toolkit to improve management of SEPLS
- Global Global
- Forest Peoples Programme
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction [Note: This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review vol. 1. Since it was first produced, further developments have occurred, ma...
- Japan (Miyagi Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction [Note: This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review vol. 1] Despite technological advances and industrialization processes ac...
Enhancing knowledge of socio-ecological production landscapes and seascapes in Vava’u, Kingdom of Tonga
- Kingdom of Tonga (Vava’u Archipelago) Polynesia
- Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP); International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction [Note: This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review vol. 1] The Kingdom of Tonga is identified by Burley et al. (2012) as th...
Recovery of Mouthless Crab (Cardisoma crassum) Populations in Mangrove Forests of the Chone River Estuary (Ecuador)
- Ecuador South America
- Foundation for Research and Social Development (FIDES)
1. CONTEXT 1.1 Mangrove ecosystems and their importance. Mangroves are found within the intertidal fringes of tropical and subtropical coasts, as this is a transitional ecosystem between marine and coastal environments. These areas consist of man...
- Myanmar (Ayeyarwady Delta) South-eastern Asia
- United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS); Japan Wildlife Research Center (JWRC)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Natural and Social Background [Note: this case study originally appeared in the publication Socio-ecological Production Landscapes in Asia.] A mangrove ecosystem is a comm...
- --- Global
- Indigenous People’s Biocultural Climate Change Assessment Initiative (IPCCA)
I. Introduction Socio-ecological production landscapes, or Satoyama-like landscapes are the product of historical co-evolutionary relationships between communities and ecosystems. Most indigenous peoples have historically maintained harmonious rel...
- Japan (Tohoku) Eastern Asia
- Earthwatch-Institute, Japan
On 22nd May 2011,”The Tohoku Green Renaissance Project” has been declared by Tohoku University and local NPOs as follows: “The massive earthquake and tsunamis of 11th March 2011 caused catastrophic damage to the coast line of Tohoku region. ...
- Brazil (Caravelas, Bahia) South America
- Conservation International
Background The Abrolhos Region is located off the southern coast of the State of Bahia, Brazil (Figure 1). It is an area of 95,000 km2 where the continental shelf extends far into the ocean leaving an area of relatively shallow water (~20-70 meter...
- Solomon Islands (New Georgia Island, Western Province) Melanesia
In addition to subsistence activities such as farming, fishing and gathering food from forests, in recent years the residents of the Solomon Islands have been making their livelihoods by obtaining cash through activities such as selling marine resour...