Sustainable use of biodiversity in socio-ecological production landscapes and seascapes (SEPLS) and its contribution to effective area-based conservation: the case of Kaya forests on the Kenyan Coast
- Kenya (Coast Region) Eastern Africa
- Kenya Forestry Research Institute (KEFRI)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Country Kenya Province/Region Coast District/County Rabai Size of geographical area 1 1,224,600 hectares Number of indirect beneficiaries 2 128,4...
Contributions of Socio-Ecological Production Landscapes and Seascapes to the achievement of Aichi Biodiversity Target 11 in the Group of Like-Minded Megadiverse Countries
- Global Global
- Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity (SCBD)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction The functional integrity and health of ecosystems within protected areas is dependent not only on the protection provided but also on the ecological, economic and...
Ensuring conservation, good governance and sustainable livelihoods through landscape management of mangrove ecosystems in Manabí, Ecuador
- Ecuador (Manabí Province) South America
- Fundación para la Investigación y Desarrollo Social (FIDES); Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES); Conservation International Japan
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Country Ecuador Province Manabí District Sucre and Portoviejo Size of geographical area 1 11.886 hectares Number of indirect beneficiar...
Building up Multi-stakeholder Cross-sector Partnerships for the ‘Xinshe Forest-River-Village-Sea Ecoagriculture Initiative’ in Eastern Rural Taiwan
- Chinese Taipei (Xinshe village, Hualien county) Eastern Asia
- National Dong-Hwa University; Hualien District Agricultural Research and Extension Station, Council of Agriculture; Hualien Forest District Office, Forestry Bureau, Council of Agriculture; Hualien Branch, Soil and Water Conservation Bureau, Council of Agriculture; Kavalan Xinshe Community Association; Amis Dipit Community Association
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. [caption id="attachment_15588" align="alignnone" width="600"] Rice paddies near Xinshe settlement and the east coast (Photo by Vision Way Communication Co., LTD)[/caption] B...
Living Water & Community Revitalization – An Agricultural-led Action, Engagement and Incubation Programme at Lai Chi Wo (Sustainable Lai Chi Wo Programme)
- China (Lai Chi Wo, Hong Kong) Eastern Asia
- Policy for Sustainability Lab of the Faculty of Social Sciences at The University of Hong Kong
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Background Hong Kong is a vibrant city located at the south-eastern tip of China, covering a total area of 1106.34km2 with a population of approximately 7.34 million (as at 20...
- Ghana (Volta region) Western Africa
- Integrated Research System for Sustainability Science (IR3S), The University of Tokyo
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Context All over the world, coastlines are changing as a result of sea erosion among other human and nature-induced phenomenon. This has put many coastal dwellers to risk and ...
Facilitating the Development of a “Taiwan Partnership for the Satoyama Initiative” (TPSI), 2014-2017
- Chinese Taipei Eastern Asia
- Forestry Bureau, Council of Agriculture, Chinese Taipei National Dong-Hwa University, Chinese Taipei
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Background Being small with a large population, Taiwan experiences great pressure in land development. The middle and lower reaches of Taiwan island are mainly occupied with r...
Strengthening smallholder resilience and improving ecosystem services provision in Indonesia: Experience from Buol District, Central Sulawesi
- Indonesia (Buol District, Central Sulawesi) South-Eastern Asia
- The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) – Southeast Asia Programme
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction [Note: This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review vol. 3]\ Smallholder farmers in tropical countries are vulnerable to bio...
Coastal communities and livelihoods in a changing world: A comparison of the fisheries and aquaculture sector in Matsushima Bay, Japan and the Salish Sea, Canada / USA
- Japan, Canada/USA (Matsushima Bay, Japan and Salish Sea, Canada/USA) Eastern Asia, Northern America
- Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo; Stockholm Resilience Centre
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction: Global trends in livelihoods within the aquaculture and fisheries sector [Note: This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review ...
The complementarity of human and nature well-being: A case illustrated by traditional forest resource users of the Sundarbans in Bangladesh
- Bangladesh (Sundarbans) Southern Asia
- Unnayan Onneshan
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction [Note: this case study originally appeared in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review v. 3.] This chapter presents a case study of the Sundarbans of Banglades...
- Italy (Tuscany) Southern Europe
- Associazione Grani Antichi (Ancient Grains Association) Montespertoli
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Ecosystem management history A long history of lagoon management Situated in Central Italy, in Southern Tuscany, the lagoon of Orbetello is a unique ecosystem connected to th...
- Indonesia (Kupang District) South-eastern Asia
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP); Ministry of the Environment, Japan; Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity; United Nations University (UNU)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. The Landscape Geography The target area selected as the focus of the COMDEKS project in Indonesia is Semau Island, which is a 265-km2 island located in the western portio...