Community-based monitoring and information systems as an emerging toolkit to improve management of SEPLS
- Global Global
- Forest Peoples Programme
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction [Note: This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review vol. 1. Since it was first produced, further developments have occurred, ma...
- Japan (Miyagi Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction [Note: This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review vol. 1] Despite technological advances and industrialization processes ac...
The importance of the Farmers Field School approach: A case study – Farmers Field School practical training programs, Vietnam
- Viet Nam and Lao P.D.R. South-eastern Asia
- Social Policy Ecology Research Institute (SPERI)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction *This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review, Vol. 1. The introduction of FFS approach to organic vegetables farmers in Viet...
Assessing farmers’ perceptions of resilience of socio-ecological production landscapes in central and eastern Kenya
- Kenya (East and Central Kenya) Eastern Africa
- Bioversity International
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction Environmental degradation has a severe impact on how ecosystems function. When an environment is degraded, many of the benefits that ecosystems provide to local c...
- Slovenia (Upper Carniola) Southern Europe
- Research Centre of Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Art (ZRC SAZU), Anton Melik Geographical Institute
Mountain pastures in Slovenia Mountain pasturing in Slovenia is primarily linked to the Alps. They occur mainly in previously forested areas, with a few also at and above the tree line (Ringler 2009). The oldest written records of mountain pasturing...
Facilitating biological and freshwater resource conservation by agricultural activities at Gongliao-Hoho-Terraced-Paddy-Fields, Taiwan
- Taiwan (Xinbei City) Eastern Asia
- Environmental Ethics Foundation of Taiwan (EEFT)
1. Background Gongliao located at the rainy low-elevated hill area in the Northern-Eastern Taiwan. Over the past 160 years, numerous farmers had built thousands of hectares of terraced paddy fields in the winding Shuangxi River Valley. However, th...
Indigenous Knowledge, Customary Use of natural Resources and Sustainable Biodiversity Management: Case Study of Hmong and Karen Communities in Thailand
- Thailand (Chomthong District, Chiang Mai Province) South-Eastern Asia
- 1) Inter-Mountain Peoples’ Education and Culture in Thailand Association (IMPECT) 2) Forest Peoples Programme
This research project studied the sustainable, customary use of biological resources by highland communities in Northern Thailand. It was undertaken with the objectives of studying the knowledge, customs, and traditions practiced by the Hmong a...
- Austria (Styria) Western Europe
- University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU), in collaboration with the Sölktäler Nature Park
Austria is a country of mountains. Around 70% of its federal territory, more than 50% of its total agriculturally utilised land (BMLFUW 2014A) and 38.4% of the agricultural holdings (STATISTIK AUSTRIA 2012) are located in mountainous areas. Mountai...
- China (Congjiang County) Eastern Asia
- College of Life and Environmental Sciences, Minzu University of China; Nanjing Institute of Environmental Science, Ministry of Environmental Protection of China
1. Background China is a large agricultural country, with the rapid development of economy and science and technology, and thousands of years of traditional agricultural production methods will soon be replaced by modern agricultural metho...
- Senegal Western Africa
- Green Sénégal, Groupe de Recherche et d'Etudes Environnementales (GREEN SENEGAL)
- Ghana (Central Region) Western Africa
- Conservation Alliance
Context Cocoa production is a major economic activity for rural folks in the Upper Guinea Hotspot, one of the world’s 25 biologically rich (Ministry of Environment and Science 2002) and the most endangered terrestrial region. Cocoa farms const...
Sustainable Agro and Community forestry in localities around Ayubia National Park, Western Himalayas, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK Province), Pakistan
- Pakistan (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa KPK, Province) Southern Asia
- Center for Integrated Mountain Research (CIMR), University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan
[caption id="attachment_9986" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Map of study area, Location of Ayubia National Park, KPK[/caption] Like most of the mountainous areas of the world, Pakistan mountainous (marginal) area’s communities are mostly depr...