- Chinese Taipei (Wuhe Tableland, Rueisuei Township, Hualien County) Eastern Asia
- SWAN (Society for Wildlife and Nature) International; Taiwan Forestry Research Institute, Council of Agriculture; Biodiversity Research Center, National Taiwan University
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Socioeconomic and environmental characteristics of the area Hualien, the largest county of Taiwan in terms of land area, is located in the eastern part of the island. With div...
Natural Agriculture in Zambia: Empowering Farmers, Strengthening Communities, and Regenerating Ecosystems
- Zambia Eastern Africa
- Shumei International
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Background Zambia is a predominantly agricultural society, with the majority of the population relying upon subsistence farming. According to UNICEF, the Gross National Income...
Facilitating the Development of a “Taiwan Partnership for the Satoyama Initiative” (TPSI), 2014-2017
- Chinese Taipei Eastern Asia
- Forestry Bureau, Council of Agriculture, Chinese Taipei National Dong-Hwa University, Chinese Taipei
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Background Being small with a large population, Taiwan experiences great pressure in land development. The middle and lower reaches of Taiwan island are mainly occupied with r...
Strengthening smallholder resilience and improving ecosystem services provision in Indonesia: Experience from Buol District, Central Sulawesi
- Indonesia (Buol District, Central Sulawesi) South-Eastern Asia
- The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) – Southeast Asia Programme
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction [Note: This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review vol. 3]\ Smallholder farmers in tropical countries are vulnerable to bio...
- Ghana (Central Region) Western Africa
- Conservation Alliance International
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction As a means of safeguarding their livelihoods against any potential threats, such as the escalating rate of biodiversity loss, rural communities have devised diffe...
Human-nature connection and well-being of the H’re indigenous community in production landscapes of Kon Tum Province, Central Highlands of Vietnam
- Viet Nam (Kon Tum Province) South-eastern Asia
- Social Policy Ecology Research Institute (SPERI)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Context and challenges This paper is designed to contribute to enhancing knowledge on the linkage between humans and nature of the H’re people in an example of a SEPLS (soci...
FairWild certification: An approach for linking biodiversity conservation with sustainable livelihoods in the northern Western Ghats, India
- India (Western Ghats) Southern Asia
- Applied Environmental Research Foundation (AERF)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Background [Note: This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review vol. 3] The conservation of biodiversity in human-dominated landscapes is ...
Enhancing livelihoods of Lake Victoria fisher folk through control of the predator Nile perch in Uganda
- Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya (Lake Victoria) Eastern Africa
- Environmental Protection Information Centre (EPIC)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. [caption id="attachment_14860" align="alignnone" width="600"] Figure 1. Map of Lake Victoria basin (Source: https://practicalconservationmanagementwikispaces.com/lake+victori...
Conservation and restoration actions in a Dry Forest ecosystem in the Santa Rosa Watershed, Colombia
- Colombia (San José del Salado, Dagua Municipality, Cauca Valley Department) South America
- Corporación Ambiental y Forestal del Pacífico (CORFOPAL)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Background One of the main environmental threats for Colombia (and the world) is the irrational use of natural resources, which leads to the degradation of ecosystems and the ...
- Indonesia (West Java) South-eastern Asia
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Climate change risking Indonesian farmers in deciding plantation’s timeline and avoiding crop failures. Additionally, Indonesia relies on rice as a staple food, requiring mo...
Green Conservation Program: A System for Biodiversity Conservation and Sustainable Agriculture in Taiwan
- Chinese Taipei (Guantian District) Eastern Asia
- Tse-Xin Organic Agriculture Foundation
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction A growing movement has emerged for holistic and integrated approaches to sustainable development. In efforts to guide humanity to live in harmony with nature, and...
- Bhutan (Barshong Gewog (sub-districts) in Tsirang Dzongkhag (district), located in the south-central part of Bhutan) Southern Asia
- Royal Society for Protection of Nature (RSPN); International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), Nepal
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Full Text (PDF) The full text of this case study is available in PDF format here. Executive Summary Occupying nearly 24% of the world’s land surface, mountains are home to ...