Community agrobiodiversity management: an effective tool for sustainable food and agricultural production from SEPLS
- India (Wayanad, Kerala) Southern Asia
- M. S. Swaminathan Research Foundation, Community Agrobiodiversity Centre
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction Resource use practices followed in SEPLS by communities including indigenous people that are often poor farmers, herders or fishermen have received wide recogniti...
Strengthening local capacity for conserving medicinal plants and improving livelihoods through domestication and integration of LBSAP in planning process
- Nepal (Rasuwa District) Southern Asia
- Kathmandu Forestry College
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction The rural landscape that encompasses the agrarian economy, fragile ecology and complex and differentiated society is changing rapidly in Nepal, creating new oppor...
Transforming nomadic traditions to biodiversity-friendly livelihoods from the perspective of traditional forestrelated knowledge: the successful story of H Village of Yunnan Province in China
- China (Yunnan Province) Eastern Asia
- Centre of Forestry, Environmental and Resources Policy Study, Renmin University of China
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction Poor people in many cases live in good quality forests with rich biodiversity, and this is particularly the case in hinterlands where indigenous people live (Liu ...
Indicator species for agrobiodiversity in rice paddy fields: Research and its application in eastern rural Taiwan
- Chinese Taipei (Hualien County) Eastern Asia
- Hualien District Agricultural Research and Extension Station (HDARES), Council of Agriculture, Taiwan
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction Paddy is one of the major crops in the monsoon Asia. Through environmentally friendly farming and proper management of paddy fields, the biodiversity in the socio...
- Japan (Iwate Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- The Commemorative Foundation for the International Garden and Greenery Exposition, Osaka, Japan, 1990 (Expo ‘90 Foundation)
1. Overview of the Sakihama district (1) Location and land use The Sakihama district is located east of Okirai, in the town of Sanriku, that is about 20 kilometers from the center of the city of Ofunato. The Kobezaki Lighthouse marks the easternmo...
- Japan (Aichi Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- Aichi Prefecture
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction In March 2013, Aichi Prefecture, located roughly in the center of the Japanese archipelago, adopted the Aichi Biodiversity Strategy 2020 in order to realize “Co...
Historical changes of co-management and biodiversity of community forests: A case study from S village of Dong minority in China, 1950-2010
- China (Hunan Province) Eastern Asia
- Centre of Forestry, Environmental and Resource Policy Study, Renmin University of China
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction [Note: This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review vol. 1] Although protected areas are one of the most important elements ...
Community-based monitoring and information systems as an emerging toolkit to improve management of SEPLS
- Global Global
- Forest Peoples Programme
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction [Note: This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review vol. 1. Since it was first produced, further developments have occurred, ma...
The importance of the Farmers Field School approach: A case study – Farmers Field School practical training programs, Vietnam
- Viet Nam and Lao P.D.R. South-eastern Asia
- Social Policy Ecology Research Institute (SPERI)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction *This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review, Vol. 1. The introduction of FFS approach to organic vegetables farmers in Viet...
Facilitating biological and freshwater resource conservation by agricultural activities at Gongliao-Hoho-Terraced-Paddy-Fields, Taiwan
- Taiwan (Xinbei City) Eastern Asia
- Environmental Ethics Foundation of Taiwan (EEFT)
1. Background Gongliao located at the rainy low-elevated hill area in the Northern-Eastern Taiwan. Over the past 160 years, numerous farmers had built thousands of hectares of terraced paddy fields in the winding Shuangxi River Valley. However, th...
Resuscitating the Sundarbans: Customary Use of Biodiversity & Traditional Cultural Practices in Bangladesh
- Bangladesh (Khulna Division) Southern Asia
- 1) Unnayan Onneshan 2) Bangladesh Environmental Lawyers Association (BELA) 3) Forest People Programme (FPP) 4) Nijera kori
This Study is a collaborative action research activity participated in by community members. It explores the nature of the Sundarban Reserve Forest, and the strategies for biodiversity conservation and sustainable use as well as the qualitative p...
Indigenous Knowledge, Customary Use of natural Resources and Sustainable Biodiversity Management: Case Study of Hmong and Karen Communities in Thailand
- Thailand (Chomthong District, Chiang Mai Province) South-Eastern Asia
- 1) Inter-Mountain Peoples’ Education and Culture in Thailand Association (IMPECT) 2) Forest Peoples Programme
This research project studied the sustainable, customary use of biological resources by highland communities in Northern Thailand. It was undertaken with the objectives of studying the knowledge, customs, and traditions practiced by the Hmong a...