- Ghana (Central Region) Western Africa
- Conservation Alliance International
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction As a means of safeguarding their livelihoods against any potential threats, such as the escalating rate of biodiversity loss, rural communities have devised diffe...
Coastal communities and livelihoods in a changing world: A comparison of the fisheries and aquaculture sector in Matsushima Bay, Japan and the Salish Sea, Canada / USA
- Japan, Canada/USA (Matsushima Bay, Japan and Salish Sea, Canada/USA) Eastern Asia, Northern America
- Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo; Stockholm Resilience Centre
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction: Global trends in livelihoods within the aquaculture and fisheries sector [Note: This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review ...
Human-nature connection and well-being of the H’re indigenous community in production landscapes of Kon Tum Province, Central Highlands of Vietnam
- Viet Nam (Kon Tum Province) South-eastern Asia
- Social Policy Ecology Research Institute (SPERI)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Context and challenges This paper is designed to contribute to enhancing knowledge on the linkage between humans and nature of the H’re people in an example of a SEPLS (soci...
FairWild certification: An approach for linking biodiversity conservation with sustainable livelihoods in the northern Western Ghats, India
- India (Western Ghats) Southern Asia
- Applied Environmental Research Foundation (AERF)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Background [Note: This case study was first published in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review vol. 3] The conservation of biodiversity in human-dominated landscapes is ...
The complementarity of human and nature well-being: A case illustrated by traditional forest resource users of the Sundarbans in Bangladesh
- Bangladesh (Sundarbans) Southern Asia
- Unnayan Onneshan
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction [Note: this case study originally appeared in the Satoyama Initiative Thematic Review v. 3.] This chapter presents a case study of the Sundarbans of Banglades...
Enhancing livelihoods of Lake Victoria fisher folk through control of the predator Nile perch in Uganda
- Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya (Lake Victoria) Eastern Africa
- Environmental Protection Information Centre (EPIC)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. [caption id="attachment_14860" align="alignnone" width="600"] Figure 1. Map of Lake Victoria basin (Source: https://practicalconservationmanagementwikispaces.com/lake+victori...
- Italy (Tuscany) Southern Europe
- Associazione Grani Antichi (Ancient Grains Association) Montespertoli
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Ecosystem management history A long history of lagoon management Situated in Central Italy, in Southern Tuscany, the lagoon of Orbetello is a unique ecosystem connected to th...
Conservation and restoration actions in a Dry Forest ecosystem in the Santa Rosa Watershed, Colombia
- Colombia (San José del Salado, Dagua Municipality, Cauca Valley Department) South America
- Corporación Ambiental y Forestal del Pacífico (CORFOPAL)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Background One of the main environmental threats for Colombia (and the world) is the irrational use of natural resources, which leads to the degradation of ecosystems and the ...
- Indonesia (West Java) South-eastern Asia
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Climate change risking Indonesian farmers in deciding plantation’s timeline and avoiding crop failures. Additionally, Indonesia relies on rice as a staple food, requiring mo...
Green Conservation Program: A System for Biodiversity Conservation and Sustainable Agriculture in Taiwan
- Chinese Taipei (Guantian District) Eastern Asia
- Tse-Xin Organic Agriculture Foundation
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction A growing movement has emerged for holistic and integrated approaches to sustainable development. In efforts to guide humanity to live in harmony with nature, and...
Socio-Ecological Landscape Change as a Preamble to Mountainous Urban Watershed Rejuvenation, Kanshi of the Jhelum River Basin, Potohar Plateau, Pakistan
- Pakistan Southern Asia
- Centre for Integrated Mountain Research (CIMR), University of the Punjab, Pakistan
INTRODUCTION The rejuvenation of watershed areas is crucial as they are water supply sources for socio-ecological production landscape developments also in downstream command areas. About 100 years ago, the Pakistan was considered as an agricultur...
- Bhutan (Barshong Gewog (sub-districts) in Tsirang Dzongkhag (district), located in the south-central part of Bhutan) Southern Asia
- Royal Society for Protection of Nature (RSPN); International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), Nepal
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Full Text (PDF) The full text of this case study is available in PDF format here. Executive Summary Occupying nearly 24% of the world’s land surface, mountains are home to ...