- Philippines (Davao Region of Southern Mindanao) South-Eastern Asia
- Hydrology for the Environment, Life and Policy(HELP) Davao Network
1.Description of the Problem/ Challenge The challenge today in the Marilog area is the serious degradation of the ecosystems, including loss of forest cover, soil erosion and deteriorating water quality. The degradation of the upland ecosystem is ...
Waterbird conservation promotes important energy flow between rice paddies and nearby Important Bird Areas in Cuba
- Cuba Caribbean
- Birdlife International
1.Regional Profile and the importance of rice cultivation in the national and local economy Cuba is the largest and most westerly island of the insular Caribbean, accounting for over 50% of the region’s land area. Mainland Cuba is 1,250 km long an...
- Japan (Aichi Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- Aichi Prefectural Government
Introduction The Aichi Targets of the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020 adopted at the tenth Conference of Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (COP10) in 2010, to achieve address the underlying causes of biodiversity loss by ma...
- Italy (hilly regions of Northern Italy) Southern Europe
- AGER International Agency for the Protection of Bio cultural Landscape
Passerano Marmorito (hereafter referred to as “Passerano”) is a little village located in Piedmont, North-West Italy, in a hilly wooded region in the Asti province. Here you can still feel the old political-administrative identity of the Radicati...
- Japan (Tohoku) Eastern Asia
- Earthwatch-Institute, Japan
On 22nd May 2011,”The Tohoku Green Renaissance Project” has been declared by Tohoku University and local NPOs as follows: “The massive earthquake and tsunamis of 11th March 2011 caused catastrophic damage to the coast line of Tohoku region. ...
Integrating scientific and traditional knowledge for co-management of socio-ecological landscapes for the well-being of communities in the flood-dependent lower floodplain agroforestry, pastoral and fishery systems of the eastwards flowing rivers of Eastern Africa
- Kenya Eastern Africa
- Kenya Wetlands Biodiversity Research team (KENWEB)
Cluster 1: Knowledge Facilitation: Synthesis and normalisation of the existing data at different scales (local, river basin, regional). Students and researchers of KENWEB have put a database of publications and books on the Tana River Delta togeth...
- China Eastern Asia
- International Network for Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR)
Bamboo’s distribution and characteristics in Anji and Lin’an Anji and Lin’an are situated in the northwestern corner of Zhejiang province in the Tianmushan mountain range. Both counties have large farming populations, with 87% of inhabitants...
Role and involvement of the commune council in community forestry activities in Domnak Neak Tathmor Puan
- Cambodia (Sre Knung Commune, Chumkiri District, Kampot Province) South-Eastern Asia
- Ministry of Environment, Cambodia, Community Forestry Research Project (CFRP), CBNRM Initiative, WWF
1. Introduction On February 03, 2002, the Royal Government of Cambodia held commune/sangkat council elections nationwide, as conducted by the National Election Committee (NEC). The goal of locally electing community representatives was to improve...
- Japan (Nomi City, Ishikawa Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- The Nomi Satoyama Conservation Society (NSCS)
1.2 Outline of the Region Nomi City’s Satoyama area is located in the center of Kaga plains which is situated in the south of Ishikawa Prefecture. The area to the east of Nomi is an alluvial fan sandwiched between the Tedori River flowing from t...
Mainstreaming satoyama in research, education and regional collaboration towards the revitalization of Noto Peninsula
- Japan (Kakuma-machi, Kanazawa City, Ishikawa Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- Kanazawa University
I. The Satoyama Satoumi Project Kanazawa University Kanazawa University is located in Kakuma Hills of Kanazawa City, Ishikawa Prefecture. As a central university of the Hokuriku Region, Japan, it boasts 3 colleges and 16 schools with 1,012 teaching...
Conserving biodiversity by utilizing wood thinned from forests as biomass fuel for power generation (Sustainable Utilization of Biological Resources)
- Japan (Nobeoka, Miyazaki Prefecture and the Gokase River watershed area) Eastern Asia
- Nobeoka City, Asahi Kasei Corporation
1. Introduction As mentioned in Table 1, the biomass power generation facilities are currently under construction on the premises of the Second Thermal Power Plant operated by the Nobeoka Power Supply Dept. in the Energy Division of Asahi Kasei Ch...
- Madagascar (Antananarivo) Eastern Africa
- Conservation International
Background The Ankeniheny-Zahamena Corridor (CAZ) has long been regarded as one of Madagascar’s top conservation priorities and numerous studies have catalogued its rich biodiversity. To date over 2,043 species of plants have been identified (85...