- Bhutan (Barshong Gewog (sub-districts) in Tsirang Dzongkhag (district), located in the south-central part of Bhutan) Southern Asia
- Royal Society for Protection of Nature (RSPN); International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), Nepal
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Full Text (PDF) The full text of this case study is available in PDF format here. Executive Summary Occupying nearly 24% of the world’s land surface, mountains are home to ...
- Fiji (Cakaudrove Province) Oceania
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP); Ministry of the Environment, Japan; Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity; United Nations University (UNU)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. The Landscape Geography The target landscape for COMDEKS activities in Fiji is the Natewa-Tunuloa Peninsula, covering an area of about 25,000 hectares. It is located on t...
- Slovenia (Upper Carniola) Southern Europe
- Research Centre of Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Art (ZRC SAZU), Anton Melik Geographical Institute
Mountain pastures in Slovenia Mountain pasturing in Slovenia is primarily linked to the Alps. They occur mainly in previously forested areas, with a few also at and above the tree line (Ringler 2009). The oldest written records of mountain pasturing...
- Guyana (Upper Takutu-Upper Essequibo) South America
- 1. South Central People's Development Organisation, 2. Forest Peoples Programme
Sustainable use provisions under article 10(c) of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) require States Parties to ...” protect and encourage customary use of biological resources in accordance with traditional cultural practices that a...
- Austria (Styria) Western Europe
- University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU), in collaboration with the Sölktäler Nature Park
Austria is a country of mountains. Around 70% of its federal territory, more than 50% of its total agriculturally utilised land (BMLFUW 2014A) and 38.4% of the agricultural holdings (STATISTIK AUSTRIA 2012) are located in mountainous areas. Mountai...
- Cyprus (Buffer Zone) Western Asia
- University of Cyprus
1. Introduction The island of Cyprus has been divided across ethnic lines since 1974, and in some areas since 1963. The current Buffer Zone was established as a cease-fire line on 16th of August 1974 and has been depicted over the last four decade...
- Global ---
- Cheburashka Project (Frontier Works. Inc and other affiliated companies)
Cheburashka and Gena the crocodile are visiting a dacha. Dacha is a Russian word that describes a vacation home with a private garden. They spend peaceful time together here, taking care of their vegetables and fruits, going to pick mushrooms and ras...
Observation of functioning of Kanchenjunga Conservation Area (KCA): the region’s first community owned conservation area
- Nepal (Taplejung District) Southern Asia
- Wildlife Watch Group (WWG)
Kanchanjunga Conservation Area (KCA) lies within 670.45’-880.15’ East longitude and 270.30’-280.00 North latitude and located in the Northeastern corner of Nepal. The Kanchenjunga Conservation Area (KCA) located at the north-eastern part of ...
- Germany (Baden-Württemberg) Western Europe
- German Association for Landcare (Deutscher Verband für Landschaftspflege, DVL) in cooperation with Landcare Association Central Black Forest (Landschaftsentwicklungsverband Mittlerer Schwarzwald e.V., LACBF)
Regional background of the Black Forest (Pic. 1: Cultural landscape in the Black Forest, photographer: Hans Page) The Black Forest is located in the southeast of Germany, Central Europe. In former times Europe and the region of the Bla...
Land use change in Uganda’s drylands, impacts, and opportunities for enhancing livelihood sustainability
- Uganda Eastern Africa
- Nature and Livelihoods
Introduction There are three major categories of drylands: Arid zones with rainfall of 200-500 mm/year, Semi-arid zones which receive 500-1000 mm of rainfall/year, and Dry sub-humid zones with 1000-1500 mm rainfall/year (UNDP, UNEP & UNCCD...
- Mexico (Lake Chapala Basin) Central America
- International Lake Environment Committee Foundation (ILEC), and Corazon de la Tierra A.C. (Heart of the Earth), Mexico
Introduction The Lake Chapala basin includes the water body of same name, the largest one in Mexico and the third in size in Latin America (Figure 1). Most of forest ecosystems at the basin present degraded areas derived o...
Utilization of natural pastures in Huascarán National Park by local Andean ‘pasture users’ and ‘campesino communities’
- Peru (Ancash) South America
- Huascaran National Park, National Service of Protected Natural Areas (Servicio Nacional de Areas Naturales Protegidas por el Estado: SERNANP)
Huascarán National Park Huascarán National Park is situated in the central western región of Peru, within the Department of Ancash (see Figure 1 below). It was established on July 1, 1975, by Supreme Decree N ° 0622-75-AG. It is a Natural Pr...