National Action Plan for the Conservation and Sustainable Use of Socio-ecological Production Landscapes (Satochi-satoyama)
- Japan Eastern Asia
- Ministry of the Environment, Government of Japan
1. Background (1) Definition and characteristics of Satochi-satoyama Satochi-satoyama refers to an area consisting of farmlands, irrigation ponds, secondary forest, plantation forest, and grasslands around human settlements. It is...
- (tropical countries) Global
- International Tropical Timber Organization (ITTO)
Forests are particularly important resources for the rural poor in tropical countries, with over 800 million people living in forests and woodlands in the tropics. Forest communities include indig-enous peoples and other local groups which have been ...
- Germany (Swabian Alb, Southwestern Germany) Western Europe
- Ecosystem Services Research Group
In European landscapes, people and nature have co-evolved over centuries. How these cultural landscapes look like, is the result of persistent landscape change following from of a highly diverse variety of land uses. A typical traditional landscape s...
- Republic of Benin Western Africa
- ONG Cercle pour la Sauvegarde des Ressources Naturelles (Ce.Sa.Re.N ONG)
Benin is a country located in Western Africa with an area of 122 600 km2. Considered as the “birthplace of voodoo” (or Vodoun, as spelled in the local language meaning “god”), the county contains approximately 2940 sacred forests according to...
- Thailand (Lower Songkhram River Basin) South-Eastern Asia
- Ministry of Natural and Resources and Environment, Thailand
Map Location: Introduction: The Lower Songkhram River Basin encompasses a broad range of wetland habitat types associated with a functional floodplain ecosystem, linked to the Mekong River. Annual extensive flooding phenomena are dependent on in-...
- Nepal Southern Asia
- Ministry of Forests and Soil Conservation, Nepal
Back Ground Community forestry has achieved broad global acclaim over the past three decades as a successful model for natural resource management that is innovative, people-centered and effective. It is increasingly recognized as a means for promot...
- Japan (Ishikawa Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency)
1. Concept 1) Background of the Training The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) is an independent administrative institution responsible for the implementation of bilateral components of Japan’s Official Development Assistance (ODA). W...
- Japan (Tohoku) Eastern Asia
- Earthwatch-Institute, Japan
On 22nd May 2011,”The Tohoku Green Renaissance Project” has been declared by Tohoku University and local NPOs as follows: “The massive earthquake and tsunamis of 11th March 2011 caused catastrophic damage to the coast line of Tohoku region. ...
- China Eastern Asia
- International Network for Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR)
Bamboo’s distribution and characteristics in Anji and Lin’an Anji and Lin’an are situated in the northwestern corner of Zhejiang province in the Tianmushan mountain range. Both counties have large farming populations, with 87% of inhabitants...
Role and involvement of the commune council in community forestry activities in Domnak Neak Tathmor Puan
- Cambodia (Sre Knung Commune, Chumkiri District, Kampot Province) South-Eastern Asia
- Ministry of Environment, Cambodia, Community Forestry Research Project (CFRP), CBNRM Initiative, WWF
1. Introduction On February 03, 2002, the Royal Government of Cambodia held commune/sangkat council elections nationwide, as conducted by the National Election Committee (NEC). The goal of locally electing community representatives was to improve...
- Japan (Nomi City, Ishikawa Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- The Nomi Satoyama Conservation Society (NSCS)
1.2 Outline of the Region Nomi City’s Satoyama area is located in the center of Kaga plains which is situated in the south of Ishikawa Prefecture. The area to the east of Nomi is an alluvial fan sandwiched between the Tedori River flowing from t...
Conserving biodiversity by utilizing wood thinned from forests as biomass fuel for power generation (Sustainable Utilization of Biological Resources)
- Japan (Nobeoka, Miyazaki Prefecture and the Gokase River watershed area) Eastern Asia
- Nobeoka City, Asahi Kasei Corporation
1. Introduction As mentioned in Table 1, the biomass power generation facilities are currently under construction on the premises of the Second Thermal Power Plant operated by the Nobeoka Power Supply Dept. in the Energy Division of Asahi Kasei Ch...