- Thailand (Lower Songkhram River Basin) South-Eastern Asia
- Ministry of Natural and Resources and Environment, Thailand
Map Location: Introduction: The Lower Songkhram River Basin encompasses a broad range of wetland habitat types associated with a functional floodplain ecosystem, linked to the Mekong River. Annual extensive flooding phenomena are dependent on in-...
- Nepal Southern Asia
- Ministry of Forests and Soil Conservation, Nepal
Back Ground Community forestry has achieved broad global acclaim over the past three decades as a successful model for natural resource management that is innovative, people-centered and effective. It is increasingly recognized as a means for promot...
- Japan (Ishikawa Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency)
1. Concept 1) Background of the Training The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) is an independent administrative institution responsible for the implementation of bilateral components of Japan’s Official Development Assistance (ODA). W...
- Japan (Tohoku) Eastern Asia
- Earthwatch-Institute, Japan
On 22nd May 2011,”The Tohoku Green Renaissance Project” has been declared by Tohoku University and local NPOs as follows: “The massive earthquake and tsunamis of 11th March 2011 caused catastrophic damage to the coast line of Tohoku region. ...
- China Eastern Asia
- International Network for Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR)
Bamboo’s distribution and characteristics in Anji and Lin’an Anji and Lin’an are situated in the northwestern corner of Zhejiang province in the Tianmushan mountain range. Both counties have large farming populations, with 87% of inhabitants...
Role and involvement of the commune council in community forestry activities in Domnak Neak Tathmor Puan
- Cambodia (Sre Knung Commune, Chumkiri District, Kampot Province) South-Eastern Asia
- Ministry of Environment, Cambodia, Community Forestry Research Project (CFRP), CBNRM Initiative, WWF
1. Introduction On February 03, 2002, the Royal Government of Cambodia held commune/sangkat council elections nationwide, as conducted by the National Election Committee (NEC). The goal of locally electing community representatives was to improve...
- Japan (Nomi City, Ishikawa Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- The Nomi Satoyama Conservation Society (NSCS)
1.2 Outline of the Region Nomi City’s Satoyama area is located in the center of Kaga plains which is situated in the south of Ishikawa Prefecture. The area to the east of Nomi is an alluvial fan sandwiched between the Tedori River flowing from t...
Conserving biodiversity by utilizing wood thinned from forests as biomass fuel for power generation (Sustainable Utilization of Biological Resources)
- Japan (Nobeoka, Miyazaki Prefecture and the Gokase River watershed area) Eastern Asia
- Nobeoka City, Asahi Kasei Corporation
1. Introduction As mentioned in Table 1, the biomass power generation facilities are currently under construction on the premises of the Second Thermal Power Plant operated by the Nobeoka Power Supply Dept. in the Energy Division of Asahi Kasei Ch...
- Madagascar (Antananarivo) Eastern Africa
- Conservation International
Background The Ankeniheny-Zahamena Corridor (CAZ) has long been regarded as one of Madagascar’s top conservation priorities and numerous studies have catalogued its rich biodiversity. To date over 2,043 species of plants have been identified (85...
- Malawi (Chindozwa, northern Malawi) Eastern Africa
- United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies
Lake Malawi, the third largest lake in Africa, has the greatest number of endemic fish species in the world and is a biodiversity hotspot. Its rapidly evolving cichlid species are estimated at around 1,000. In particular, the mbuna group of rock...
- Australia (Queensland) Australia and New Zealand
Australia has a highly advanced agricultural sector and has largely depended economically on the export of agricultural products, despite receiving small amounts of rainfall over most of its territory. This is mainly due to large-scale farm ma...
Conservation and management of agricultural land by traditional methods in Machida City, Tokyo, Japan
- Japan (Machida City, Tokyo) Eastern Asia
The Tokyo Metropolitan Government has designated approximately 37,000 square metersof the Zushi-Onoji region of Machida City where traditional land uses and agriculture of the yato area are still present as the “Zushi-Onoji Historical and Environme...