Apply Environmental Education to Foster Practices of Satoyama Initiative: Examples of Nature Centers of Forestry Bureau
- Chinese Taipei Eastern Asia
- Chinese Society for Environmental Education
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Background Taiwan has nearly 2.1 million hectares of forest which is a precious asset that covers about 60.71% of the total territory. Chinese Society for Environmental Educat...
Promoting Under-Forest Economy under the concept of Satoyama Initiative: A Case Study of Wutai Township, Pingtung County, Chinese Taipei
- Chinese Taipei (Wutai Township, Pingtung County) Eastern Asia
- National Pingtung University of Science and Technology (NPUST); Forestry Bureau, Council of Agriculture, Executive Yuan, Chinese Taipei; Ministry of Education, Chinese Taipei; National Dong-Hwa University (NDHU), Chinese Taipei; Taiwan Forestry Research Institute, Council of Agriculture, Executive Yuan, Chinese Taipei
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Background Forests are of great importance to humans and animals. Forests can fulfil numerous important functions, including homing to people, native plants and animals, c...
The contribution of chestnut orchard recovery projects for effective area-based conservation: Two cases in Asturias (North-West Spain)
- Spain (Asturias) Southern Europe
- ECOAGRASOC. Higher Polytechnic School. University of Santiago de Compostela; GIS-Forest Research Group, Universidad de Oviedo; Department of Geography, Swansea University
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Country Spain Province Asturias District Caranga Baxu (Proaza)/ Villamorei (Sobrescobio) Size of geographical area 1 146,22 hectares Number of ind...
Sustainable use of biodiversity in socio-ecological production landscapes and seascapes (SEPLS) and its contribution to effective area-based conservation: the case of Kaya forests on the Kenyan Coast
- Kenya (Coast Region) Eastern Africa
- Kenya Forestry Research Institute (KEFRI)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Country Kenya Province/Region Coast District/County Rabai Size of geographical area 1 1,224,600 hectares Number of indirect beneficiaries 2 128,4...
Contributions of Socio-Ecological Production Landscapes and Seascapes to the achievement of Aichi Biodiversity Target 11 in the Group of Like-Minded Megadiverse Countries
- Global Global
- Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity (SCBD)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction The functional integrity and health of ecosystems within protected areas is dependent not only on the protection provided but also on the ecological, economic and...
Ensuring conservation, good governance and sustainable livelihoods through landscape management of mangrove ecosystems in Manabí, Ecuador
- Ecuador (Manabí Province) South America
- Fundación para la Investigación y Desarrollo Social (FIDES); Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES); Conservation International Japan
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Country Ecuador Province Manabí District Sucre and Portoviejo Size of geographical area 1 11.886 hectares Number of indirect beneficiar...
Tree Microrefugia and Community-based Conservation in Tropandean Mountainscapes: A Bio-Cultural Approach for Heritage Management of “El Collay” Protected Forest in Southeastern Ecuador
- Ecuador (Azuay and Morona Santiago Provinces) South America
- Neotropical Montology Collaboratory, Department of Geography, University of Georgia
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Note: We write Scientific and Kichwa words in italics, Spanish names with ‘single quotation marks’ while emphasis or alternative meaning with “double quotation” mar...
Building up Multi-stakeholder Cross-sector Partnerships for the ‘Xinshe Forest-River-Village-Sea Ecoagriculture Initiative’ in Eastern Rural Taiwan
- Chinese Taipei (Xinshe village, Hualien county) Eastern Asia
- National Dong-Hwa University; Hualien District Agricultural Research and Extension Station, Council of Agriculture; Hualien Forest District Office, Forestry Bureau, Council of Agriculture; Hualien Branch, Soil and Water Conservation Bureau, Council of Agriculture; Kavalan Xinshe Community Association; Amis Dipit Community Association
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. [caption id="attachment_15588" align="alignnone" width="600"] Rice paddies near Xinshe settlement and the east coast (Photo by Vision Way Communication Co., LTD)[/caption] B...
Living Water & Community Revitalization – An Agricultural-led Action, Engagement and Incubation Programme at Lai Chi Wo (Sustainable Lai Chi Wo Programme)
- China (Lai Chi Wo, Hong Kong) Eastern Asia
- Policy for Sustainability Lab of the Faculty of Social Sciences at The University of Hong Kong
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Background Hong Kong is a vibrant city located at the south-eastern tip of China, covering a total area of 1106.34km2 with a population of approximately 7.34 million (as at 20...
Conserving Biodiversity and Livelihood Enhancement: the case of Saviefe Communities on the Weto Landscape in Ghana
- Ghana (Volta Region) Western Africa
- Greenglobe Ghana
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. [caption id="attachment_15594" align="alignnone" width="600"] Weto Mountain Range[/caption] Natural Characteristics of the Area The Saviefe traditional area is located in t...
- Brazil (State of Paraná) South America
- Universidade Federal da Fronteira Sul (UFFS)
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Background Brazil has immense ethnic and linguistic diversity with a population of Native Americans of 896,000 people within 305 ethnical groups. In the southern state of Para...
- Chinese Taipei (Miaoli County) Eastern Asia
- Observer Ecological Consultant Company
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Growing TianBie Rice to conserve the giant water bug The TianBie Rice Project was started in 2012, when the Observer Ecological Consultant Co. conducted a wildlife survey, whi...