- Japan (Iwate Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- The Commemorative Foundation for the International Garden and Greenery Exposition, Osaka, Japan, 1990 (Expo ‘90 Foundation)
1. Overview of the Sakihama district (1) Location and land use The Sakihama district is located east of Okirai, in the town of Sanriku, that is about 20 kilometers from the center of the city of Ofunato. The Kobezaki Lighthouse marks the easternmo...
Recovery of Mouthless Crab (Cardisoma crassum) Populations in Mangrove Forests of the Chone River Estuary (Ecuador)
- Ecuador South America
- Foundation for Research and Social Development (FIDES)
1. CONTEXT 1.1 Mangrove ecosystems and their importance. Mangroves are found within the intertidal fringes of tropical and subtropical coasts, as this is a transitional ecosystem between marine and coastal environments. These areas consist of man...
- --- Global
- Indigenous People’s Biocultural Climate Change Assessment Initiative (IPCCA)
I. Introduction Socio-ecological production landscapes, or Satoyama-like landscapes are the product of historical co-evolutionary relationships between communities and ecosystems. Most indigenous peoples have historically maintained harmonious rel...
- Japan (Tohoku) Eastern Asia
- Earthwatch-Institute, Japan
On 22nd May 2011,”The Tohoku Green Renaissance Project” has been declared by Tohoku University and local NPOs as follows: “The massive earthquake and tsunamis of 11th March 2011 caused catastrophic damage to the coast line of Tohoku region. ...
- Brazil (Caravelas, Bahia) South America
- Conservation International
Background The Abrolhos Region is located off the southern coast of the State of Bahia, Brazil (Figure 1). It is an area of 95,000 km2 where the continental shelf extends far into the ocean leaving an area of relatively shallow water (~20-70 meter...
- Solomon Islands (New Georgia Island, Western Province) Melanesia
In addition to subsistence activities such as farming, fishing and gathering food from forests, in recent years the residents of the Solomon Islands have been making their livelihoods by obtaining cash through activities such as selling marine resour...