- Thailand (Lower Songkhram River Basin) South-Eastern Asia
- Ministry of Natural and Resources and Environment, Thailand
Map Location: Introduction: The Lower Songkhram River Basin encompasses a broad range of wetland habitat types associated with a functional floodplain ecosystem, linked to the Mekong River. Annual extensive flooding phenomena are dependent on in-...
The use of agrobiodiversity by indigenous and traditional agricultural communities in: Adapting to climate change
- --- Global
- Platform for Agrobiodiversity Research
UNDERSTANDING ADAPTATION Together with increasing temperatures, climate change also leads to increasingly unpredictable and variable rainfall (both in amount and timing), changing seasonal patterns and an increasing frequency of extreme weather even...
Identification of potential benefits of urbanization for degraded grasslands in central Hunshandak Sandland, China
- China (Inner Mongolia) Eastern Asia
- Minzu University
1. Introduction Urbanization is the process of concentrating population within a city, which usually serves as the local center of politics, economy, commerce, transportation, education, information and culture (World Resources Institute, 1996). The...
Reintroduction Project of the Oriental White Stork for Coexistence with Humans in Satoyama areas, Hyogo, Japan
- Japan Eastern Asia
- Hyogo Prefectural Governement
INTRODUCTION The Oriental White Stork (Ciconia boyciana) is a species of bird that inhabits river valleys, wet meadows, and marshes with scattered clumps of the trees (Hancock et al. 1992). The storks prefer rural environments containing paddy fie...
- Japan (Ishikawa Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency)
1. Concept 1) Background of the Training The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) is an independent administrative institution responsible for the implementation of bilateral components of Japan’s Official Development Assistance (ODA). W...
- Philippines (Davao Region of Southern Mindanao) South-Eastern Asia
- Hydrology for the Environment, Life and Policy(HELP) Davao Network
1.Description of the Problem/ Challenge The challenge today in the Marilog area is the serious degradation of the ecosystems, including loss of forest cover, soil erosion and deteriorating water quality. The degradation of the upland ecosystem is ...
- Italy (hilly regions of Northern Italy) Southern Europe
- AGER International Agency for the Protection of Bio cultural Landscape
Passerano Marmorito (hereafter referred to as “Passerano”) is a little village located in Piedmont, North-West Italy, in a hilly wooded region in the Asti province. Here you can still feel the old political-administrative identity of the Radicati...
- China Eastern Asia
- International Network for Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR)
Bamboo’s distribution and characteristics in Anji and Lin’an Anji and Lin’an are situated in the northwestern corner of Zhejiang province in the Tianmushan mountain range. Both counties have large farming populations, with 87% of inhabitants...
- Namibia Southern Africa
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Introduction Local climate change and its variability pose greater risks for vulnerable, poor, and marginalized communities due to the physical impact it makes there. Since 2009, the UNDP-GEF CBA project in Namibia has been working with 12 villages ...
- Malawi (Chindozwa, northern Malawi) Eastern Africa
- United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies
Lake Malawi, the third largest lake in Africa, has the greatest number of endemic fish species in the world and is a biodiversity hotspot. Its rapidly evolving cichlid species are estimated at around 1,000. In particular, the mbuna group of rock...
- Australia (Queensland) Australia and New Zealand
Australia has a highly advanced agricultural sector and has largely depended economically on the export of agricultural products, despite receiving small amounts of rainfall over most of its territory. This is mainly due to large-scale farm ma...
Conservation and management of agricultural land by traditional methods in Machida City, Tokyo, Japan
- Japan (Machida City, Tokyo) Eastern Asia
The Tokyo Metropolitan Government has designated approximately 37,000 square metersof the Zushi-Onoji region of Machida City where traditional land uses and agriculture of the yato area are still present as the “Zushi-Onoji Historical and Environme...