Assessing farmers’ perceptions of resilience of socio-ecological production landscapes in central and eastern Kenya
- Kenya (East and Central Kenya) Eastern Africa
- Bioversity International
Summary Sheet The summary sheet for this case study is available here. Introduction Environmental degradation has a severe impact on how ecosystems function. When an environment is degraded, many of the benefits that ecosystems provide to local c...
- Slovenia (Upper Carniola) Southern Europe
- Research Centre of Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Art (ZRC SAZU), Anton Melik Geographical Institute
Mountain pastures in Slovenia Mountain pasturing in Slovenia is primarily linked to the Alps. They occur mainly in previously forested areas, with a few also at and above the tree line (Ringler 2009). The oldest written records of mountain pasturing...
Facilitating biological and freshwater resource conservation by agricultural activities at Gongliao-Hoho-Terraced-Paddy-Fields, Taiwan
- Taiwan (Xinbei City) Eastern Asia
- Environmental Ethics Foundation of Taiwan (EEFT)
1. Background Gongliao located at the rainy low-elevated hill area in the Northern-Eastern Taiwan. Over the past 160 years, numerous farmers had built thousands of hectares of terraced paddy fields in the winding Shuangxi River Valley. However, th...
Indigenous Knowledge, Customary Use of natural Resources and Sustainable Biodiversity Management: Case Study of Hmong and Karen Communities in Thailand
- Thailand (Chomthong District, Chiang Mai Province) South-Eastern Asia
- 1) Inter-Mountain Peoples’ Education and Culture in Thailand Association (IMPECT) 2) Forest Peoples Programme
This research project studied the sustainable, customary use of biological resources by highland communities in Northern Thailand. It was undertaken with the objectives of studying the knowledge, customs, and traditions practiced by the Hmong a...
- Austria (Styria) Western Europe
- University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU), in collaboration with the Sölktäler Nature Park
Austria is a country of mountains. Around 70% of its federal territory, more than 50% of its total agriculturally utilised land (BMLFUW 2014A) and 38.4% of the agricultural holdings (STATISTIK AUSTRIA 2012) are located in mountainous areas. Mountai...
- China (Congjiang County) Eastern Asia
- College of Life and Environmental Sciences, Minzu University of China; Nanjing Institute of Environmental Science, Ministry of Environmental Protection of China
1. Background China is a large agricultural country, with the rapid development of economy and science and technology, and thousands of years of traditional agricultural production methods will soon be replaced by modern agricultural metho...
- Senegal Western Africa
- Green Sénégal, Groupe de Recherche et d'Etudes Environnementales (GREEN SENEGAL)
- Ghana (Central Region) Western Africa
- Conservation Alliance
Context Cocoa production is a major economic activity for rural folks in the Upper Guinea Hotspot, one of the world’s 25 biologically rich (Ministry of Environment and Science 2002) and the most endangered terrestrial region. Cocoa farms const...
Sustainable Agro and Community forestry in localities around Ayubia National Park, Western Himalayas, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK Province), Pakistan
- Pakistan (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa KPK, Province) Southern Asia
- Center for Integrated Mountain Research (CIMR), University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan
[caption id="attachment_9986" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Map of study area, Location of Ayubia National Park, KPK[/caption] Like most of the mountainous areas of the world, Pakistan mountainous (marginal) area’s communities are mostly depr...
- Cambodia South-Eastern Asia
- Critical Ecosystem Partnership Fund (CEPF) & Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS)
Project Description To secure core populations of a suite of thirteen globally threatened bird species at four sites in Cambodia, WCS implemented a series of innovative conservation interventions focusing on providing direct incentives to local comm...
- Cyprus (Buffer Zone) Western Asia
- University of Cyprus
1. Introduction The island of Cyprus has been divided across ethnic lines since 1974, and in some areas since 1963. The current Buffer Zone was established as a cease-fire line on 16th of August 1974 and has been depicted over the last four decade...
Collaborative Planning and Management of Socio-Ecological Production Landscapes: a Rice Paddy Cultural Landscape Conservation in an Indigenous Community, Taiwan
- Chinese Taipei (Hualien County) Eastern Asia
- National Dong-Hwa University
Project Description This two-year action research project was commissioned by the Hualien County Cultural Affairs Bureau and implemented from May 2011 to June 2013 by the National Dong-Hwa University. The goal was to facilitate a collaborative plann...