Community Development to Live in Harmony with the Oriental White Stork in Toyooka City, Hyogo, Japan
- Japan (Toyooka City, Hyogo Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- Toyooka City
1 Regional Profile Toyooka City is located in the northeast part of Hyogo Prefecture. It is bordered by Kyoto Prefecture in the east and the Sea of Japan in the north, and was formed by merging Toyooka City, Kinosaki Town, Takeno Town, Hidaka Town...
Observation of functioning of Kanchenjunga Conservation Area (KCA): the region’s first community owned conservation area
- Nepal (Taplejung District) Southern Asia
- Wildlife Watch Group (WWG)
Kanchanjunga Conservation Area (KCA) lies within 670.45’-880.15’ East longitude and 270.30’-280.00 North latitude and located in the Northeastern corner of Nepal. The Kanchenjunga Conservation Area (KCA) located at the north-eastern part of ...
- Republic of Cuba (Cuchillas del Toa Biophere Reserve (RBCT)) Caribbean
- Bioversity International, Institute of Fundamental Researches on Tropical Agriculture (INIFAT)
Introduction Nowadays the world population is estimated to number 7 billion, and perhaps, will reach more than 9 billion in this century. In order to survive as a species on a finite planet, human beings must learn to integrate more harmon...
- Germany (Baden-Württemberg) Western Europe
- German Association for Landcare (Deutscher Verband für Landschaftspflege, DVL) in cooperation with Landcare Association Central Black Forest (Landschaftsentwicklungsverband Mittlerer Schwarzwald e.V., LACBF)
Regional background of the Black Forest (Pic. 1: Cultural landscape in the Black Forest, photographer: Hans Page) The Black Forest is located in the southeast of Germany, Central Europe. In former times Europe and the region of the Bla...
Land use change in Uganda’s drylands, impacts, and opportunities for enhancing livelihood sustainability
- Uganda Eastern Africa
- Nature and Livelihoods
Introduction There are three major categories of drylands: Arid zones with rainfall of 200-500 mm/year, Semi-arid zones which receive 500-1000 mm of rainfall/year, and Dry sub-humid zones with 1000-1500 mm rainfall/year (UNDP, UNEP & UNCCD...
- Mexico (Lake Chapala Basin) Central America
- International Lake Environment Committee Foundation (ILEC), and Corazon de la Tierra A.C. (Heart of the Earth), Mexico
Introduction The Lake Chapala basin includes the water body of same name, the largest one in Mexico and the third in size in Latin America (Figure 1). Most of forest ecosystems at the basin present degraded areas derived o...
- --- Global
- Indigenous People’s Biocultural Climate Change Assessment Initiative (IPCCA)
I. Introduction Socio-ecological production landscapes, or Satoyama-like landscapes are the product of historical co-evolutionary relationships between communities and ecosystems. Most indigenous peoples have historically maintained harmonious rel...
National Action Plan for the Conservation and Sustainable Use of Socio-ecological Production Landscapes (Satochi-satoyama)
- Japan Eastern Asia
- Ministry of the Environment, Government of Japan
1. Background (1) Definition and characteristics of Satochi-satoyama Satochi-satoyama refers to an area consisting of farmlands, irrigation ponds, secondary forest, plantation forest, and grasslands around human settlements. It is...
- Germany (Swabian Alb, Southwestern Germany) Western Europe
- Ecosystem Services Research Group
In European landscapes, people and nature have co-evolved over centuries. How these cultural landscapes look like, is the result of persistent landscape change following from of a highly diverse variety of land uses. A typical traditional landscape s...
On-Farm Conservation of Plant Genetic Resources: A Case Study from Wayanad District of Kerala, India
- India (Wayanad, Kerala) Southern Asia
- M S Swaminathan Research Foundation
Introduction India is a Centre of Origin and Centre of Diversity for crops like rice, Indian dwarf wheat, kodo millet, legumes like black gram, green gram; spices such as black pepper, turmeric, cardamom and ginger; and fruits like jackfruit and m...
- Thailand (Lower Songkhram River Basin) South-Eastern Asia
- Ministry of Natural and Resources and Environment, Thailand
Map Location: Introduction: The Lower Songkhram River Basin encompasses a broad range of wetland habitat types associated with a functional floodplain ecosystem, linked to the Mekong River. Annual extensive flooding phenomena are dependent on in-...
The use of agrobiodiversity by indigenous and traditional agricultural communities in: Adapting to climate change
- --- Global
- Platform for Agrobiodiversity Research
UNDERSTANDING ADAPTATION Together with increasing temperatures, climate change also leads to increasingly unpredictable and variable rainfall (both in amount and timing), changing seasonal patterns and an increasing frequency of extreme weather even...