Sustainable Agro and Community forestry in localities around Ayubia National Park, Western Himalayas, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK Province), Pakistan
- Pakistan (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa KPK, Province) Southern Asia
- Center for Integrated Mountain Research (CIMR), University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan
[caption id="attachment_9986" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Map of study area, Location of Ayubia National Park, KPK[/caption] Like most of the mountainous areas of the world, Pakistan mountainous (marginal) area’s communities are mostly depr...
- Cambodia South-Eastern Asia
- Critical Ecosystem Partnership Fund (CEPF) & Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS)
Project Description To secure core populations of a suite of thirteen globally threatened bird species at four sites in Cambodia, WCS implemented a series of innovative conservation interventions focusing on providing direct incentives to local comm...
- Cyprus (Buffer Zone) Western Asia
- University of Cyprus
1. Introduction The island of Cyprus has been divided across ethnic lines since 1974, and in some areas since 1963. The current Buffer Zone was established as a cease-fire line on 16th of August 1974 and has been depicted over the last four decade...
Collaborative Planning and Management of Socio-Ecological Production Landscapes: a Rice Paddy Cultural Landscape Conservation in an Indigenous Community, Taiwan
- Chinese Taipei (Hualien County) Eastern Asia
- National Dong-Hwa University
Project Description This two-year action research project was commissioned by the Hualien County Cultural Affairs Bureau and implemented from May 2011 to June 2013 by the National Dong-Hwa University. The goal was to facilitate a collaborative plann...
Restoration of Community Deforested Forests for Mitigation of Negative Effects of Climate Change Mpigi-Uganda
- Uganda (Mpigi, Central Uganda) Eastern Africa
- Civil Society Organizations’ Network for Sustainable Agriculture and Environment in East Africa (CISONET)
The rate of environmental degradation in Mpigi district has been gradually increasing over time and some areas, which were originally forested, have been made bare by the inhabitants of the areas as a result of cutting down trees for timber and fuel ...
Community Development to Live in Harmony with the Oriental White Stork in Toyooka City, Hyogo, Japan
- Japan (Toyooka City, Hyogo Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- Toyooka City
1 Regional Profile Toyooka City is located in the northeast part of Hyogo Prefecture. It is bordered by Kyoto Prefecture in the east and the Sea of Japan in the north, and was formed by merging Toyooka City, Kinosaki Town, Takeno Town, Hidaka Town...
Observation of functioning of Kanchenjunga Conservation Area (KCA): the region’s first community owned conservation area
- Nepal (Taplejung District) Southern Asia
- Wildlife Watch Group (WWG)
Kanchanjunga Conservation Area (KCA) lies within 670.45’-880.15’ East longitude and 270.30’-280.00 North latitude and located in the Northeastern corner of Nepal. The Kanchenjunga Conservation Area (KCA) located at the north-eastern part of ...
- Republic of Cuba (Cuchillas del Toa Biophere Reserve (RBCT)) Caribbean
- Bioversity International, Institute of Fundamental Researches on Tropical Agriculture (INIFAT)
Introduction Nowadays the world population is estimated to number 7 billion, and perhaps, will reach more than 9 billion in this century. In order to survive as a species on a finite planet, human beings must learn to integrate more harmon...
- Germany (Baden-Württemberg) Western Europe
- German Association for Landcare (Deutscher Verband für Landschaftspflege, DVL) in cooperation with Landcare Association Central Black Forest (Landschaftsentwicklungsverband Mittlerer Schwarzwald e.V., LACBF)
Regional background of the Black Forest (Pic. 1: Cultural landscape in the Black Forest, photographer: Hans Page) The Black Forest is located in the southeast of Germany, Central Europe. In former times Europe and the region of the Bla...
Land use change in Uganda’s drylands, impacts, and opportunities for enhancing livelihood sustainability
- Uganda Eastern Africa
- Nature and Livelihoods
Introduction There are three major categories of drylands: Arid zones with rainfall of 200-500 mm/year, Semi-arid zones which receive 500-1000 mm of rainfall/year, and Dry sub-humid zones with 1000-1500 mm rainfall/year (UNDP, UNEP & UNCCD...
- Mexico (Lake Chapala Basin) Central America
- International Lake Environment Committee Foundation (ILEC), and Corazon de la Tierra A.C. (Heart of the Earth), Mexico
Introduction The Lake Chapala basin includes the water body of same name, the largest one in Mexico and the third in size in Latin America (Figure 1). Most of forest ecosystems at the basin present degraded areas derived o...
- --- Global
- Indigenous People’s Biocultural Climate Change Assessment Initiative (IPCCA)
I. Introduction Socio-ecological production landscapes, or Satoyama-like landscapes are the product of historical co-evolutionary relationships between communities and ecosystems. Most indigenous peoples have historically maintained harmonious rel...