- Bhutan (Barshong Gewog (sub-districts) in Tsirang Dzongkhag (district), located in the south-central part of Bhutan) Southern Asia
- Royal Society for Protection of Nature (RSPN); International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), Nepal
Executive Summary Occupying nearly 24% of the world’s land surface, mountains are home to 12% of the global population and provide a wide range of goods and services to one-fifth of humanity. The goods and services provided include water, hydroele...
Indicator species for agrobiodiversity in rice paddy fields: Research and its application in eastern rural Taiwan
- Chinese Taipei (Hualien County) Eastern Asia
- Hualien District Agricultural Research and Extension Station (HDARES), Council of Agriculture, Taiwan
Introduction Paddy is one of the major crops in the monsoon Asia. Through environmentally friendly farming and proper management of paddy fields, the biodiversity in the socio-ecological production landscapes (SEPLs) can be revitalised and conserved...
- Japan (Iwate Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- The Commemorative Foundation for the International Garden and Greenery Exposition, Osaka, Japan, 1990 (Expo ‘90 Foundation)
1. Overview of the Sakihama district (1) Location and land use The Sakihama district is located east of Okirai, in the town of Sanriku, that is about 20 kilometers from the center of the city of Ofunato. The Kobezaki Lighthouse marks the easternmo...
Facilitating biological and freshwater resource conservation by agricultural activities at Gongliao-Hoho-Terraced-Paddy-Fields, Taiwan
- Taiwan (Xinbei City) Eastern Asia
- Environmental Ethics Foundation of Taiwan (EEFT)
1. Background Gongliao located at the rainy low-elevated hill area in the Northern-Eastern Taiwan. Over the past 160 years, numerous farmers had built thousands of hectares of terraced paddy fields in the winding Shuangxi River Valley. However, th...
Resuscitating the Sundarbans: Customary Use of Biodiversity & Traditional Cultural Practices in Bangladesh
- Bangladesh (Khulna Division) Southern Asia
- 1) Unnayan Onneshan 2) Bangladesh Environmental Lawyers Association (BELA) 3) Forest People Programme (FPP) 4) Nijera kori
This Study is a collaborative action research activity participated in by community members. It explores the nature of the Sundarban Reserve Forest, and the strategies for biodiversity conservation and sustainable use as well as the qualitative p...
Indigenous Knowledge, Customary Use of natural Resources and Sustainable Biodiversity Management: Case Study of Hmong and Karen Communities in Thailand
- Thailand (Chomthong District, Chiang Mai Province) South-Eastern Asia
- 1) Inter-Mountain Peoples’ Education and Culture in Thailand Association (IMPECT) 2) Forest Peoples Programme
This research project studied the sustainable, customary use of biological resources by highland communities in Northern Thailand. It was undertaken with the objectives of studying the knowledge, customs, and traditions practiced by the Hmong a...
- Japan (Hyogo Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- Hokusetsu Satoyama Museum Steering Council
Introduction Throughout the history of Japan, many people have received the blessings of satoyama forests, thanked them, and lived along with them. The relationship between Japanese people and satoyama has helped foster their wealthy imaginati...
- China (Congjiang County) Eastern Asia
- College of Life and Environmental Sciences, Minzu University of China; Nanjing Institute of Environmental Science, Ministry of Environmental Protection of China
1. Background China is a large agricultural country, with the rapid development of economy and science and technology, and thousands of years of traditional agricultural production methods will soon be replaced by modern agricultural metho...
- India (Kerala) Southern Asia
- IORA Ecological Solutions
INTRODUCTION Waste disposal is a rapidly growing problem in India across rural and urban households, communities and institutions like hostels, hospitals, convents, and old age-homes, et. al. Rising quantities and poor management of organic waste le...
Sustainable Agro and Community forestry in localities around Ayubia National Park, Western Himalayas, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK Province), Pakistan
- Pakistan (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa KPK, Province) Southern Asia
- Center for Integrated Mountain Research (CIMR), University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan
[caption id="attachment_9986" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Map of study area, Location of Ayubia National Park, KPK[/caption] Like most of the mountainous areas of the world, Pakistan mountainous (marginal) area’s communities are mostly depr...
Diversifying forage composition to improve milk production and quality through participatory learning
- Indonesia (Malang Regency) South-Eastern Asia
- Integrated Organic Farming Systems Research Centre (IORC), Faculty of Agriculture, University of Brawijaya, Malang, Indonesia
Introduction As the economy of Indonesia is growing along with the population, the need for protein from livestock products has increased. The higher demand for livestock products such as milk has encouraged farmers to intensify their farming system...
- Cambodia South-Eastern Asia
- Critical Ecosystem Partnership Fund (CEPF) & Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS)
Project Description To secure core populations of a suite of thirteen globally threatened bird species at four sites in Cambodia, WCS implemented a series of innovative conservation interventions focusing on providing direct incentives to local comm...