- Guyana (Upper Takutu-Upper Essequibo) South America
- 1. South Central People's Development Organisation, 2. Forest Peoples Programme
Sustainable use provisions under article 10(c) of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) require States Parties to ...” protect and encourage customary use of biological resources in accordance with traditional cultural practices that a...
Recovery of Mouthless Crab (Cardisoma crassum) Populations in Mangrove Forests of the Chone River Estuary (Ecuador)
- Ecuador South America
- Foundation for Research and Social Development (FIDES)
1. CONTEXT 1.1 Mangrove ecosystems and their importance. Mangroves are found within the intertidal fringes of tropical and subtropical coasts, as this is a transitional ecosystem between marine and coastal environments. These areas consist of man...
- Republic of Cuba (Cuchillas del Toa Biophere Reserve (RBCT)) Caribbean
- Bioversity International, Institute of Fundamental Researches on Tropical Agriculture (INIFAT)
Introduction Nowadays the world population is estimated to number 7 billion, and perhaps, will reach more than 9 billion in this century. In order to survive as a species on a finite planet, human beings must learn to integrate more harmon...
- Mexico (Lake Chapala Basin) Central America
- International Lake Environment Committee Foundation (ILEC), and Corazon de la Tierra A.C. (Heart of the Earth), Mexico
Introduction The Lake Chapala basin includes the water body of same name, the largest one in Mexico and the third in size in Latin America (Figure 1). Most of forest ecosystems at the basin present degraded areas derived o...
Utilization of natural pastures in Huascarán National Park by local Andean ‘pasture users’ and ‘campesino communities’
- Peru (Ancash) South America
- Huascaran National Park, National Service of Protected Natural Areas (Servicio Nacional de Areas Naturales Protegidas por el Estado: SERNANP)
Huascarán National Park Huascarán National Park is situated in the central western región of Peru, within the Department of Ancash (see Figure 1 below). It was established on July 1, 1975, by Supreme Decree N ° 0622-75-AG. It is a Natural Pr...
- --- Global
- Indigenous People’s Biocultural Climate Change Assessment Initiative (IPCCA)
I. Introduction Socio-ecological production landscapes, or Satoyama-like landscapes are the product of historical co-evolutionary relationships between communities and ecosystems. Most indigenous peoples have historically maintained harmonious rel...
- (tropical countries) Global
- International Tropical Timber Organization (ITTO)
Forests are particularly important resources for the rural poor in tropical countries, with over 800 million people living in forests and woodlands in the tropics. Forest communities include indig-enous peoples and other local groups which have been ...
Waterbird conservation promotes important energy flow between rice paddies and nearby Important Bird Areas in Cuba
- Cuba Caribbean
- Birdlife International
1.Regional Profile and the importance of rice cultivation in the national and local economy Cuba is the largest and most westerly island of the insular Caribbean, accounting for over 50% of the region’s land area. Mainland Cuba is 1,250 km long an...
- Brazil (Caravelas, Bahia) South America
- Conservation International
Background The Abrolhos Region is located off the southern coast of the State of Bahia, Brazil (Figure 1). It is an area of 95,000 km2 where the continental shelf extends far into the ocean leaving an area of relatively shallow water (~20-70 meter...
- Mexico (Juarez, Oaxaca) Central America
- United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies
In Mexico, deforestation and land degradation due to population growth, past agricultural policies, expansion of the agricultural frontier, over-exploitation, poorly regulated tourism, accelerated economic development, and arbitrary settlement polici...
- USA (Louisiana) Northern America
The United States of America occupies the large continent, its climatic zone extends by the frigid zone from the subtropical zone, and it has a major mountain ranges, expansive prairies and vast rivers, and there are various natural environments. The...
- Argentina (Misiones) South America
While extremely long longitudinally, the Latin America alone cover a broad range of latitudes and accompanying climates, from tropical in the north to polar in the south. Argentina, which is situated at the southern tip of South America, is a major a...