Participatory, Learning and Action (PLA) Project for Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resources Management in Lao PDR
- Lao People's Democratic Republic (Xiangkhouang Province) South-Eastern Asia
- Overseas Environmental Cooperation Center (OECC)
1. Introduction Overseas Environmental Cooperation Center, Japan (OECC) Technical Committee commenced a scheme “the SATO Village Framework Development Plan in Lao People’s Democratic Republic (Laos)” in fiscal year 2008. This scheme was co...
Collaborative Planning and Management of Socio-Ecological Production Landscapes: a Rice Paddy Cultural Landscape Conservation in an Indigenous Community, Taiwan
- Chinese Taipei (Hualien County) Eastern Asia
- National Dong-Hwa University
Project Description This two-year action research project was commissioned by the Hualien County Cultural Affairs Bureau and implemented from May 2011 to June 2013 by the National Dong-Hwa University. The goal was to facilitate a collaborative plann...
- Cambodia (Battambang, Mondulkiri, and Kampong Cham Provinces) South-Eastern Asia
- Institute of Environment Rehabilitation and Conservation (ERECON)
Cambodia is a country being rich in natural resources, especially forests that cover 59.09 percent of the country (FAO, 2010). Agriculture plays an important role in Cambodia, with more than 70 percent of population is engaging in agriculture sector,...
Outline of Wakasa Town’s (Fukui Prefecture) Activities Relating to Socio-Ecological Production Landscapes (SEPLS)
- Japan (Fukui Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- Wakasa Town
1 Goal of this case study’s activities In the current world where lifestyles are changing and people’s involvement with nature is decreasing, through learning from the ideas and wisdom of our forerunners, and preserving the nature of the SATOY...
- Global ---
- Cheburashka Project (Frontier Works. Inc and other affiliated companies)
Cheburashka and Gena the crocodile are visiting a dacha. Dacha is a Russian word that describes a vacation home with a private garden. They spend peaceful time together here, taking care of their vegetables and fruits, going to pick mushrooms and ras...
Restoration of Community Deforested Forests for Mitigation of Negative Effects of Climate Change Mpigi-Uganda
- Uganda (Mpigi, Central Uganda) Eastern Africa
- Civil Society Organizations’ Network for Sustainable Agriculture and Environment in East Africa (CISONET)
The rate of environmental degradation in Mpigi district has been gradually increasing over time and some areas, which were originally forested, have been made bare by the inhabitants of the areas as a result of cutting down trees for timber and fuel ...
Community Development to Live in Harmony with the Oriental White Stork in Toyooka City, Hyogo, Japan
- Japan (Toyooka City, Hyogo Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- Toyooka City
1 Regional Profile Toyooka City is located in the northeast part of Hyogo Prefecture. It is bordered by Kyoto Prefecture in the east and the Sea of Japan in the north, and was formed by merging Toyooka City, Kinosaki Town, Takeno Town, Hidaka Town...
Observation of functioning of Kanchenjunga Conservation Area (KCA): the region’s first community owned conservation area
- Nepal (Taplejung District) Southern Asia
- Wildlife Watch Group (WWG)
Kanchanjunga Conservation Area (KCA) lies within 670.45’-880.15’ East longitude and 270.30’-280.00 North latitude and located in the Northeastern corner of Nepal. The Kanchenjunga Conservation Area (KCA) located at the north-eastern part of ...
- Republic of Cuba (Cuchillas del Toa Biophere Reserve (RBCT)) Caribbean
- Bioversity International, Institute of Fundamental Researches on Tropical Agriculture (INIFAT)
Introduction Nowadays the world population is estimated to number 7 billion, and perhaps, will reach more than 9 billion in this century. In order to survive as a species on a finite planet, human beings must learn to integrate more harmon...
- Germany (Baden-Württemberg) Western Europe
- German Association for Landcare (Deutscher Verband für Landschaftspflege, DVL) in cooperation with Landcare Association Central Black Forest (Landschaftsentwicklungsverband Mittlerer Schwarzwald e.V., LACBF)
Regional background of the Black Forest (Pic. 1: Cultural landscape in the Black Forest, photographer: Hans Page) The Black Forest is located in the southeast of Germany, Central Europe. In former times Europe and the region of the Bla...
Land use change in Uganda’s drylands, impacts, and opportunities for enhancing livelihood sustainability
- Uganda Eastern Africa
- Nature and Livelihoods
Introduction There are three major categories of drylands: Arid zones with rainfall of 200-500 mm/year, Semi-arid zones which receive 500-1000 mm of rainfall/year, and Dry sub-humid zones with 1000-1500 mm rainfall/year (UNDP, UNEP & UNCCD...
Assessment of Lentic-Lotic Basin Biodiversity Improvement through a Cyclic Platform Process of Management
- --- Global
- International Lake Environment Committee Foundation (ILEC)
I. Introduction The riparian and watershed basins of lentic-lotic (e.g., lake-river, pond-stream, wetland-feeder river) systems are among the most bio-diverse ecosystems on the globe, and they have been facing serious threats of degradation. T...