- China Eastern Asia
- International Network for Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR)
Bamboo’s distribution and characteristics in Anji and Lin’an Anji and Lin’an are situated in the northwestern corner of Zhejiang province in the Tianmushan mountain range. Both counties have large farming populations, with 87% of inhabitants...
Role and involvement of the commune council in community forestry activities in Domnak Neak Tathmor Puan
- Cambodia (Sre Knung Commune, Chumkiri District, Kampot Province) South-Eastern Asia
- Ministry of Environment, Cambodia, Community Forestry Research Project (CFRP), CBNRM Initiative, WWF
1. Introduction On February 03, 2002, the Royal Government of Cambodia held commune/sangkat council elections nationwide, as conducted by the National Election Committee (NEC). The goal of locally electing community representatives was to improve...
- Japan (Nomi City, Ishikawa Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- The Nomi Satoyama Conservation Society (NSCS)
1.2 Outline of the Region Nomi City’s Satoyama area is located in the center of Kaga plains which is situated in the south of Ishikawa Prefecture. The area to the east of Nomi is an alluvial fan sandwiched between the Tedori River flowing from t...
Mainstreaming satoyama in research, education and regional collaboration towards the revitalization of Noto Peninsula
- Japan (Kakuma-machi, Kanazawa City, Ishikawa Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- Kanazawa University
I. The Satoyama Satoumi Project Kanazawa University Kanazawa University is located in Kakuma Hills of Kanazawa City, Ishikawa Prefecture. As a central university of the Hokuriku Region, Japan, it boasts 3 colleges and 16 schools with 1,012 teaching...
Conserving biodiversity by utilizing wood thinned from forests as biomass fuel for power generation (Sustainable Utilization of Biological Resources)
- Japan (Nobeoka, Miyazaki Prefecture and the Gokase River watershed area) Eastern Asia
- Nobeoka City, Asahi Kasei Corporation
1. Introduction As mentioned in Table 1, the biomass power generation facilities are currently under construction on the premises of the Second Thermal Power Plant operated by the Nobeoka Power Supply Dept. in the Energy Division of Asahi Kasei Ch...
- Madagascar (Antananarivo) Eastern Africa
- Conservation International
Background The Ankeniheny-Zahamena Corridor (CAZ) has long been regarded as one of Madagascar’s top conservation priorities and numerous studies have catalogued its rich biodiversity. To date over 2,043 species of plants have been identified (85...
- Namibia Southern Africa
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Introduction Local climate change and its variability pose greater risks for vulnerable, poor, and marginalized communities due to the physical impact it makes there. Since 2009, the UNDP-GEF CBA project in Namibia has been working with 12 villages ...
Promoting co-management of socio-ecological landscapes in flood dependent agroforestry, pastoral and fishery systems of eastwards flowing rivers of Eastern Africa through scientific research and indigenous knowledge
- Kenya Eastern Africa
- Kenya Wetlands Biodiversity Research Team (KENWEB)
Project concept Problem statement: Over the last fifty years, Eastern African wetlands in general and the lower floodplains in particular, have experienced major changes due to climate change, land use changes, upper catchment impoundments, agricult...
- Cambodia South-Eastern Asia
- BirdLife International
1. General Description and Regional Context The northern and eastern plains of Cambodia represent the most intact remnant ecosystem of a landscape that is thought to have once dominated southern Indochina and Thailand (Hout et al., 2003). ...
- Brazil (Caravelas, Bahia) South America
- Conservation International
Background The Abrolhos Region is located off the southern coast of the State of Bahia, Brazil (Figure 1). It is an area of 95,000 km2 where the continental shelf extends far into the ocean leaving an area of relatively shallow water (~20-70 meter...
- Spain Southern Europe
- Universidad de Vigo and Universidad de Santiago de Compostela
Introduction The main objective of this research is the analysis of the dynamics of traditional agrarian landscape of agras in the Galician community in order to provide data regarding its historic-cultural value, spatio-temporal distribution, as we...
- Malawi (Chindozwa, northern Malawi) Eastern Africa
- United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies
Lake Malawi, the third largest lake in Africa, has the greatest number of endemic fish species in the world and is a biodiversity hotspot. Its rapidly evolving cichlid species are estimated at around 1,000. In particular, the mbuna group of rock...