- Philippines (Laguna Province) South-Eastern Asia
- International Lake Environment Committee Foundation (ILEC)
1. Background Tadlac Lake and Environs Tadlac Lake is one of the 8 crater lakes found within the watershed of Laguna de Bay, the largest lake in the Philippines (Figure 1). It is located in the Province of Laguna, specifically at Barangay Tadlac ...
- Philippines (Ifugao Province) South-Eastern Asia
- Montanosa Research, Development Center- Tebtebba Foundation
The work brings together five communities of Tinoc, Ifugao, Philippines and two IP organizations; the MRDC who works directly with indigenous peoples’ organizations on sustainable production food systems for 30 years and Tebtebba, who works and has...
- Viet Nam (Huulung District) South-Eastern Asia
- Culture Identity and Resources Use Management (CIRUM)
INTRODUCTION The necessity of regenerating forests and making the forestry sector more beneficial to Vietnamese people is widely agreed upon. Yet the prevailing reality is that vast amounts forests that should long belong to people are still und...
Utilization of natural pastures in Huascarán National Park by local Andean ‘pasture users’ and ‘campesino communities’
- Peru (Ancash) South America
- Huascaran National Park, National Service of Protected Natural Areas (Servicio Nacional de Areas Naturales Protegidas por el Estado: SERNANP)
Huascarán National Park Huascarán National Park is situated in the central western región of Peru, within the Department of Ancash (see Figure 1 below). It was established on July 1, 1975, by Supreme Decree N ° 0622-75-AG. It is a Natural Pr...
- --- Global
- Indigenous People’s Biocultural Climate Change Assessment Initiative (IPCCA)
I. Introduction Socio-ecological production landscapes, or Satoyama-like landscapes are the product of historical co-evolutionary relationships between communities and ecosystems. Most indigenous peoples have historically maintained harmonious rel...
Integrating community development with the management of grasslands and wetlands at Ke’erqin nature reserve
- China (Inner Mongolia) Eastern Asia
- Renmin University of China
BACKGROUND Within the past thirty years, the total area of nature reserves in China has rapidly expanded to 14% of the country’s total land area, providing protection for endangered species and representative ecosystems in a qualified sense. Tradi...
National Action Plan for the Conservation and Sustainable Use of Socio-ecological Production Landscapes (Satochi-satoyama)
- Japan Eastern Asia
- Ministry of the Environment, Government of Japan
1. Background (1) Definition and characteristics of Satochi-satoyama Satochi-satoyama refers to an area consisting of farmlands, irrigation ponds, secondary forest, plantation forest, and grasslands around human settlements. It is...
- (tropical countries) Global
- International Tropical Timber Organization (ITTO)
Forests are particularly important resources for the rural poor in tropical countries, with over 800 million people living in forests and woodlands in the tropics. Forest communities include indig-enous peoples and other local groups which have been ...
- Germany (Swabian Alb, Southwestern Germany) Western Europe
- Ecosystem Services Research Group
In European landscapes, people and nature have co-evolved over centuries. How these cultural landscapes look like, is the result of persistent landscape change following from of a highly diverse variety of land uses. A typical traditional landscape s...
On-Farm Conservation of Plant Genetic Resources: A Case Study from Wayanad District of Kerala, India
- India (Wayanad, Kerala) Southern Asia
- M S Swaminathan Research Foundation
Introduction India is a Centre of Origin and Centre of Diversity for crops like rice, Indian dwarf wheat, kodo millet, legumes like black gram, green gram; spices such as black pepper, turmeric, cardamom and ginger; and fruits like jackfruit and m...
- Republic of Benin Western Africa
- ONG Cercle pour la Sauvegarde des Ressources Naturelles (Ce.Sa.Re.N ONG)
Benin is a country located in Western Africa with an area of 122 600 km2. Considered as the “birthplace of voodoo” (or Vodoun, as spelled in the local language meaning “god”), the county contains approximately 2940 sacred forests according to...
- Thailand (Lower Songkhram River Basin) South-Eastern Asia
- Ministry of Natural and Resources and Environment, Thailand
Map Location: Introduction: The Lower Songkhram River Basin encompasses a broad range of wetland habitat types associated with a functional floodplain ecosystem, linked to the Mekong River. Annual extensive flooding phenomena are dependent on in-...