- Ghana (Central Region) Western Africa
- Conservation Alliance
Context Cocoa production is a major economic activity for rural folks in the Upper Guinea Hotspot, one of the world’s 25 biologically rich (Ministry of Environment and Science 2002) and the most endangered terrestrial region. Cocoa farms const...
Recovery of Mouthless Crab (Cardisoma crassum) Populations in Mangrove Forests of the Chone River Estuary (Ecuador)
- Ecuador South America
- Foundation for Research and Social Development (FIDES)
1. CONTEXT 1.1 Mangrove ecosystems and their importance. Mangroves are found within the intertidal fringes of tropical and subtropical coasts, as this is a transitional ecosystem between marine and coastal environments. These areas consist of man...
- India (Kerala) Southern Asia
- IORA Ecological Solutions
INTRODUCTION Waste disposal is a rapidly growing problem in India across rural and urban households, communities and institutions like hostels, hospitals, convents, and old age-homes, et. al. Rising quantities and poor management of organic waste le...
Sustainable Agro and Community forestry in localities around Ayubia National Park, Western Himalayas, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK Province), Pakistan
- Pakistan (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa KPK, Province) Southern Asia
- Center for Integrated Mountain Research (CIMR), University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan
[caption id="attachment_9986" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Map of study area, Location of Ayubia National Park, KPK[/caption] Like most of the mountainous areas of the world, Pakistan mountainous (marginal) area’s communities are mostly depr...
Diversifying forage composition to improve milk production and quality through participatory learning
- Indonesia (Malang Regency) South-Eastern Asia
- Integrated Organic Farming Systems Research Centre (IORC), Faculty of Agriculture, University of Brawijaya, Malang, Indonesia
Introduction As the economy of Indonesia is growing along with the population, the need for protein from livestock products has increased. The higher demand for livestock products such as milk has encouraged farmers to intensify their farming system...
A grassroots programme to support a traditional Eastern European community managing traditional High Nature Value landscapes in the Carpathians
- Romania (Eastern Carpathians of Transylvania) Eastern Europe
- Pogány-havas Regional Association
Of all countries in the EU, Romania has the highest proportion of the population engaged in agriculture, whilst average farm sizes are the smallest. Romania has 29% of the EU’s agricultural holdings, it has 20% of Europe’s agricultural workers, h...
- Cambodia South-Eastern Asia
- Critical Ecosystem Partnership Fund (CEPF) & Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS)
Project Description To secure core populations of a suite of thirteen globally threatened bird species at four sites in Cambodia, WCS implemented a series of innovative conservation interventions focusing on providing direct incentives to local comm...
- Cyprus (Buffer Zone) Western Asia
- University of Cyprus
1. Introduction The island of Cyprus has been divided across ethnic lines since 1974, and in some areas since 1963. The current Buffer Zone was established as a cease-fire line on 16th of August 1974 and has been depicted over the last four decade...
Participatory, Learning and Action (PLA) Project for Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resources Management in Lao PDR
- Lao People's Democratic Republic (Xiangkhouang Province) South-Eastern Asia
- Overseas Environmental Cooperation Center (OECC)
1. Introduction Overseas Environmental Cooperation Center, Japan (OECC) Technical Committee commenced a scheme “the SATO Village Framework Development Plan in Lao People’s Democratic Republic (Laos)” in fiscal year 2008. This scheme was co...
Collaborative Planning and Management of Socio-Ecological Production Landscapes: a Rice Paddy Cultural Landscape Conservation in an Indigenous Community, Taiwan
- Chinese Taipei (Hualien County) Eastern Asia
- National Dong-Hwa University
Project Description This two-year action research project was commissioned by the Hualien County Cultural Affairs Bureau and implemented from May 2011 to June 2013 by the National Dong-Hwa University. The goal was to facilitate a collaborative plann...
- Cambodia (Battambang, Mondulkiri, and Kampong Cham Provinces) South-Eastern Asia
- Institute of Environment Rehabilitation and Conservation (ERECON)
Cambodia is a country being rich in natural resources, especially forests that cover 59.09 percent of the country (FAO, 2010). Agriculture plays an important role in Cambodia, with more than 70 percent of population is engaging in agriculture sector,...
Outline of Wakasa Town’s (Fukui Prefecture) Activities Relating to Socio-Ecological Production Landscapes (SEPLS)
- Japan (Fukui Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- Wakasa Town
1 Goal of this case study’s activities In the current world where lifestyles are changing and people’s involvement with nature is decreasing, through learning from the ideas and wisdom of our forerunners, and preserving the nature of the SATOY...