- Nepal Southern Asia
- Ministry of Forests and Soil Conservation, Nepal
Back Ground Community forestry has achieved broad global acclaim over the past three decades as a successful model for natural resource management that is innovative, people-centered and effective. It is increasingly recognized as a means for promot...
Identification of potential benefits of urbanization for degraded grasslands in central Hunshandak Sandland, China
- China (Inner Mongolia) Eastern Asia
- Minzu University
1. Introduction Urbanization is the process of concentrating population within a city, which usually serves as the local center of politics, economy, commerce, transportation, education, information and culture (World Resources Institute, 1996). The...
Biodiversity Conservation through Domestication of High Value Medicinal and Aromatic Plants in Mountain Ecological Landscapes of Nepal
- Nepal Southern Asia
- Kathmandu Forestry College
1.Introduction In recent years, bio-diversity conservation and poverty reduction through effective use and management of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (MAPs) has become a fervent agenda of many scientists and development practitioners in the mountai...
Reintroduction Project of the Oriental White Stork for Coexistence with Humans in Satoyama areas, Hyogo, Japan
- Japan Eastern Asia
- Hyogo Prefectural Governement
INTRODUCTION The Oriental White Stork (Ciconia boyciana) is a species of bird that inhabits river valleys, wet meadows, and marshes with scattered clumps of the trees (Hancock et al. 1992). The storks prefer rural environments containing paddy fie...
- Japan (Ishikawa Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency)
1. Concept 1) Background of the Training The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) is an independent administrative institution responsible for the implementation of bilateral components of Japan’s Official Development Assistance (ODA). W...
- Philippines (Davao Region of Southern Mindanao) South-Eastern Asia
- Hydrology for the Environment, Life and Policy(HELP) Davao Network
1.Description of the Problem/ Challenge The challenge today in the Marilog area is the serious degradation of the ecosystems, including loss of forest cover, soil erosion and deteriorating water quality. The degradation of the upland ecosystem is ...
Waterbird conservation promotes important energy flow between rice paddies and nearby Important Bird Areas in Cuba
- Cuba Caribbean
- Birdlife International
1.Regional Profile and the importance of rice cultivation in the national and local economy Cuba is the largest and most westerly island of the insular Caribbean, accounting for over 50% of the region’s land area. Mainland Cuba is 1,250 km long an...
- Japan (Aichi Prefecture) Eastern Asia
- Aichi Prefectural Government
Introduction The Aichi Targets of the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020 adopted at the tenth Conference of Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (COP10) in 2010, to achieve address the underlying causes of biodiversity loss by ma...
- Italy (hilly regions of Northern Italy) Southern Europe
- AGER International Agency for the Protection of Bio cultural Landscape
Passerano Marmorito (hereafter referred to as “Passerano”) is a little village located in Piedmont, North-West Italy, in a hilly wooded region in the Asti province. Here you can still feel the old political-administrative identity of the Radicati...
- Japan (Tohoku) Eastern Asia
- Earthwatch-Institute, Japan
On 22nd May 2011,”The Tohoku Green Renaissance Project” has been declared by Tohoku University and local NPOs as follows: “The massive earthquake and tsunamis of 11th March 2011 caused catastrophic damage to the coast line of Tohoku region. ...
Integrating scientific and traditional knowledge for co-management of socio-ecological landscapes for the well-being of communities in the flood-dependent lower floodplain agroforestry, pastoral and fishery systems of the eastwards flowing rivers of Eastern Africa
- Kenya Eastern Africa
- Kenya Wetlands Biodiversity Research team (KENWEB)
Cluster 1: Knowledge Facilitation: Synthesis and normalisation of the existing data at different scales (local, river basin, regional). Students and researchers of KENWEB have put a database of publications and books on the Tana River Delta togeth...
- China Eastern Asia
- International Network for Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR)
Bamboo’s distribution and characteristics in Anji and Lin’an Anji and Lin’an are situated in the northwestern corner of Zhejiang province in the Tianmushan mountain range. Both counties have large farming populations, with 87% of inhabitants...